Too much exercise for pup?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too much exercise for pup?

YellowFurBaby is offline Senior Member

DefaultToo much exercise for pup?

Hi again. First off, I'd like to say how much I appreciate the help I get from the members of this forum. I don't come here often, ( I do have 4 young kids at home AND a LAB puppy! ) but this forum is my number one source for information.

Abbey will be be 8mths old on the 13th. I walk her about 5km daily, this takes us approx. 50-55min. From reading the forum I know that I should be following the 5min/month of age rule, which would leave us at 40min. Could someone please clarify what TYPE of exercise this system is intended for?

Our first 2km is spent with Abbey off leash and running, butt-tucking, like a bat out of hell, along and IN ditches*splash*. She LOVES this!! She then proceeds to stop, sniff, run and walk as she pleases. During the remaining 3km, she walks on leash alongside me. We walk at a decent pace, but not fast. She doesn't seem tired when we get home...just content.

I would love to do this twice a day (it's a huge stress release for me), but I worry that it may be too much for Abbey and her growing joints. If I didn't let her have the off-leash romp and only casually walked 45-60min for the 2nd walk, would that still be too much?

~~Lisa and Abbey 1/13/08<br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Too much exercise for pup?

IMO, you're doing fine.

The general consensus is that the types of exercise to avoid for a growing pup in its first 12-18 months is a lot of jumping (e.g., Frisbee catching, etc.) that would stress joints or forced running (e.g., following you on a bike or while jogging) that doesn't give the dog the choice of when to stop, pause, and smell the pee-mail, etc.

She doesn't seem tired when we get home...just content.
    You're doing the most important thing of all -- reading your dog

Labs vary A LOT. The schedule that's best for one isn't best either for all or a specific other. What IS best is to learn to read your dog.

My Puff was fairly hyper as a pup -- she's since calmed down a lot and the amount of exercise needed to keep her calm has declined as well.

When she was a pup, I found it best for both of us to exercise her twice a day -- about 8 hours apart. We followed roughly the 5 minutes/month of age schedule at both of her 2 daily sessions.

JMO

Edited to clarify the points made; the original was fuzzier
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

YellowFurBaby is offline Senior Member

Thank-you so much!!
    ~~Lisa and Abbey 1/13/08<br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I think at 8 months, once a day, that routine is perfect. But I would not do this twice a day until she is at least 18 months.

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

It does depend on the pup. A few weeks back my wife and I challenged ourselves to see how long it would take to tire the dog out so he was out cold for the rest of the day. It took us 6 hours for a 5 month old pup. This included walks, swimming, fetch, etc.

WillV341 is offline Senior Member

Oscar is a fairly energetic dog. He's never been overly hyper and likes to relax (like his old man). I can take him for a 15-30 minute "skate" around the neighborhood and he will be perfectly content for a long time. I always match speed with him (he likes to "trot" and stop and smell the amazing smells) but sometimes he goes full speed. I never make him pull me so theres no extra load on the leash, and it seems to be perfect all the way around. Once a day is usually good for him, as well as a little fetch and a little chasing up and down the stairs (I dont know why but he has is all mapped out. Up the stairs, wait for me to get up there, juke past me and down the stairs. As soon as I'm 1/2 way down he comes up flying past me and around we go again.) (also only done for a few minutes, deff. less than 5, as I know its not too good for his joints after to long.)
    OSCAR!!!!!! <br />born 11/16/07

Gundoggal is offline Junior Member

5 mins a day per month is the rule.. any extra means that more calories are burned.. which means more food is needed.
    See how he looks... if he looks like he is getting leggy then bring down the exersise.. if he looks nice and chunky then im sure its fine...

we exersised abbie alot when she was younger... exeeding the 5 mins per month rule alot (being new owners).. and her hips are very good at 3/3

ledleys mum is offline Junior Member

I am new to this forum and did my homework before i got my choc lab. He is now 11 weeks and able to walk outside. I have taken him to a near by field with my sister and her dogs and he loved it....He was running about like a mad head but came back when i called..... He has always been a chunky lad, and i am only feeding him the recommended amount for his weight. I had to change his food onto Arden Grange cause he was obsessivly scratching.
    I am worried that i am gonna walk him too much, but also worry he is gonna get fat. lol :embarrass:

how long should i walk him??

He will alk but is very reluctant at the start. He even goes and sulks when i get out his lead.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Welcome.

A good rule to follow in regard to exercise is 5 minutes per month of age. So, for an 11 week old pup I would not walk for more than 10-15 minutes per day. Don't forget that he will also get plenty of exercise goofing around in your house and garden. Free running is good in small doses for a youngster, but I would focus on socialization first and foremost -- for example, by taking the pup on short walks through a busy town centre.

Indymom is offline Member

Sophie and I just got back from a long walk. We've done it just about every morning for the past week and a half or so. It takes us nearly an hour...that's because she's stopping to pee, sniff, poo, or just generally picking things up and putting them down. By the time we turn around to go home, she's a bit calmer and we can make pretty good time, but she still stops to sniff. My DH takes her on a much shorter walk in the evening (about 30 minutes)...I have noticed on the days we don't do this, she's crazy hyper...to the point of running around the house...which will NOT be good when she weighs 70+ lbs!

On our walks, we are working on not pulling the leash (so I'm stopping every so often), sitting at crosswalks, dropping various and sundry items, and walking on the left side. All this training during our walks has paid off...slowly...but she's getting it.

Per my calculations, at 14 weeks, Sophie should be getting 70 minutes of exercise daily...I'm assuming this doesn't include training time, which we spend roughly 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours on....usually broken into two sessions. So we're over shooting the walks by about 20 minutes, but I'm telling you she loves them and would be crazy wild without them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast