Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hide

Thread: Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hide

udfdshultz is offline Junior Member

DefaultDr. Jekyl and Mr. Hide

OK..here is my issue. Our yellow lab Riley is 3 years old and is the perfect dog when it is my wife and I in the house. He never causes any problems at all. He lays at the door nice and quiet when we are occupied with other things. However, when someone walks up our side walk or a neighbor/friend comes near our door he turns to a whole other dog. He jumps up and barks like someone is breaking in. His hair stands up straight and back arches like a cat. Also, we can't have people over without him going insane also. He doesn't jump as much (because we did have "professional" training) but he just seems to knock things over and bark loudly when people are in the house. After a while he calms down but that initial reaction makes us not have company or ship him off somewhere else when we are having people over. What are some good options for training that the wife and I can use?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_nellies mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hide

I would have some friends who are dog people come over. One good way to cure this is for everyone to turn their backs on him until he settles. My Nellie used to jump on everyone who came over including me when I came home. What I started doing was coming in and saying hello to her quietly then putting my stuff down and checking my answering machine THEN giving her attention. It worked like a charm.
    <br />~~~~~~~~<br />Danie<br />Nellie, CGC<br />~~~~~~~~<br />The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I second what nellie's mom advised.

The more you can have people come over and make that routine for Riley, the sooner he'll settle down. You might also give them some treats to give Riley after they come in to show Riley that they often may be coming with gifts meaningful to a dog.

My Puff is a persistent alarm barker, She barked at our next door neighbors every time they drove in -- for about her first 4 years. (She's accepted them now but the daily postal carrier's not on her approved list.)

Similar things happened on our daily walks in the nature preserve. We often meet birders (b. watchers) on our trails and Puff barked at the same people time after time. After a bit of this, as we meet them, I give some of them a few kibbles from her breakfast ration to offer Puff from their hand. That's had a great effect -- a few times of that and she recognizes the people who give kibble and that ends her barking at them. (Now we'll just need to work on stopping her face licking of them.)

You do need to give Riley enough slack to bark at a knock on the door or the ring of a door bell, though. That's hard wired into dogs. You'd want him to bark and sound the alarm if he heard someone trying to break in, wouldn't you?

Edited to correct misspellings
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I've found this one of the most effective ways to control jumping beans when visitors come in.

You'll need:
    -one dog on a leash
    -one patient friend that will follow instructions
    -one bottle of wine to reward friend at the end

Ask your friend to wait outside for a minute. Get the dog leashed and about 5 feet from the doorway, ask him to sit/stay if you have taught that. (If you haven't, work on this first). Friend opens door and comes in, says hello. Dog jumps up, barks more than once, or does anything beside stay sitting, your friend turns around immediately and leaves, shutting door behind them so they are out of dog's sight. Get dog settled, then repeat, repeat, repeat until the dog stays sitting and calm. Then pour two glasses of wine and relax for a few hours. Find another friend and repeat the process the next day.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Great protocol, Kaytris!!
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

udfdshultz is offline Junior Member

Thank you for all the advice....Riley is great at sit/stay mostly when it is just us. I will definitely train a lot more at getting this settled.

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

We followed Kaytris's solution more or less for teaching our dog not to jump on people we see on walks or at the door. It works!