Psycho Lab Please Help!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Psycho Lab Please Help!!!

Max091007 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPsycho Lab Please Help!!!

I am at my wits end! I have a black lab who will be 1 year old next week. He is absolutely out of control. He does not listen at all. He has been in puppy class for the past 4 weeks and it doesn't seem to help. I have even gone so far as to try the pinch collar (which I am totally against) but felt like I had no other option. It doesn't seem to phase him. He jumps, nips, shows his teeth, growls, runs in circles with his fur sticking up and barks in my face. Whenever I try to discipline him he just comes at me harder. I even pin him to the ground and yell at him as loud as I can to get him to take me seriously. He just wiggles away and comes at me again even harder. I've tried ignoring him, walking away, turning my back....NOTHING WORKS!! He is crated for about 6 hours a day while my husband and I are at work. I don't know if being crated is causing the extra energy. When we go out, he is in his crate as he can't be trusted being left alone in the house, although I know we need to start leaving him for short amounts of time and gradually increase to see how he does. I walk him 2 miles a day on the weekends to get rid of some of his energy but even that doesn't really help. I love my dog very much It upsets me to have to discipline him constantly. I don't want him to become afraid of me and I don't want to get rid of him but if this behavior does not change soon, I may not have any other option. If this is a phase, is there a time frame for when this will stop?!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_nellies mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Psycho Lab Please Help!!!

First of all it sounds like he is not getting enough exercise. "A tired dog is a good dog." If you don't have a fenced yard take him somewhere fenced in and throw a tennis ball. If there's a dog park near you he might benefit from playing with other dogs. He needs this every day not just weekends. He also needs more than one walk a day.
    Don't give up on the classes. Do you practice what you are learning during the week? You need to. I would talk to the instructor about what is happening and what she/he recommends you do. Your dog needs to know his place in the pecking order of your home. That said, yelling at him will not work. He is getting the attention he wants from you even though it is negative. And do crate him when you go out. Most labs are not trustworthy until they are about 2 years old. One is still considered a puppy.
    <br />~~~~~~~~<br />Danie<br />Nellie, CGC<br />~~~~~~~~<br />The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I strongly suspect that your pup is getting WAY too LITTLE exercise.

Labs are high energy dogs and they need daily vigorous exercise -- not just a leashed daily walk or alone time in the fenced backyard, but the opportunity to run, chase, play, retrieve, etc.

The lack of adequate daily vigorous exercise is often been said to be the #1 reason for rehoming or giving up ownership of a Lab.

Teaching a Lab to retrieve is an easy way to provide them with exercise without exhausting the owner.

My Puff is 7 years old and I take her for a daily offleash hour walk in a nearby nature preserve early every morning. I walk 2 miles, Puff gets 30 or more retrieves, some from slinging her training dummy, some from dropping it on the trail and sending her back to fetch it (that gives her longer runs than my slinging it). Some days she gets more exercise later.

Result?

She dozes until she hears me about to do something (go for the car, go outside, etc.) and then she's by my side.

With my previous Lab, Bess, I lived near a pond which gave us the opportunity after work to use daily swimming retrieves which are an even better exercise than the dry land fetching. Probably 30 minutes of swimming retrieves is about equal to fifty minutes of walking and retrieving on land depending on how many retrieves with either.

While daily exercise sessions are good for your Lab, they're also good for you. Many recent scientific studies have shown that dog owners are healthier than non-dog owners and the presumption is because the dog owners also get exercise from giving it to their dogs. You'll be healthier, your dog will be more comfortable to live with, when you fit this into your daily schedule.

Maybe there are a few places that don't have ponds or nature preserves for daily exercise? Not a problem. Find a fenced in school yard or ball field to use for retrieving a training dummy or chasing a Chuck-it! ball (BUT be sure you pick up any fecal deposit your dog makes). And/or find a neighbor with a fenced backyard and a sociable friendly dog (a Lab would be best) with which your Lab can have a daily playdate for an hour so both can get pooped from chasing and wrestling each other. Or find a "Bark Park" (AKA "Dog Park") in your area. When I take trips with Puff, I stop at a rest area every 2 hours and give her 10-15 minutes of retrieving. It keeps me fresh and it helps her stay calm.

Training dummies are sold at a variety of online places including this: www.gundogsupply.com I buy the 2x12" "Lucky Dog" vinyl training dummies. (DO NOT LET YOUR DOG CHEW ON THEM LIKE A CHEW TOY; USE THEM ONLY FOR RETRIEVING.)

P.S. -- you asked how long this phase lasts? Roughly 7-10 years before slowly tapering off from my experience.

Chuck-it! is also sold at many places online or in local pet stores.

"A Tired Lab is a Good Lab" -- Socrates

"A Bored Lab that is not Tired is a Royal P.I.T.A" -- Confucius

"A Dozing Lab Rarely Causes Problems" -- Bhagavad Gita

"A Lab sufficiently exercised has partaken of Nature's own Prozac and Valium" -- Hippocrates

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

nellies mom posted her response while I was still writing mine. I agree with her, of course.

Here's a link for Chuckit

http://www.amazon.com/Canine-Hardwar...0835792&sr=8-1
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Another option for those that work long hours is either dogdaycare or a dogwalker. I'm sure alot of my clients would be posting similar stories if they didn't have me (or another professional) to break up their dog's day and give them exercise and mental stimulation.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    Another option for those that work long hours is either dogdaycare or a dogwalker. I'm sure alot of my clients would be posting similar stories if they didn't have me (or another professional) to break up their dog's day and give them exercise and mental stimulation.
    Or if you're on good terms with your neighbours maybe they can call in on him or walk him?.

Both my next door neighbours work. If I'm home & their dog starts barking through loneliness / boredom, I bring her over here where she has the full run of my house & back yard. She loves my 2 & they all get on really well. Sometimes I have her until one of them comes home. It makes life more pleasant for all of us. She's great company for mine & vice versa & it also prevents complaints from other neighbours about her barking.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

I agree these walks need to be daily and needs to be off leash or on a long line retrieving, swimming, running. Secondly sounds like your dog doesn't know its place in the house, how does he earn his privileges? Google NILIF this helped me ALOT with training and showed who is boss!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

The pup needs alot more exercise. Did I understand correctly that he gets 2 miles on weekends only? or each day? Even a 2 mile walk each day isn't enough for most young labs.

Once you have the exercise increased, if you are having trouble IN CLASS I would recommend another teacher. Or if you haven't already, ask the one you have at the end of class for tips. But this is step 2. First step is more exercise.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Nothing much to add, other than echo what others have said.

Most young Labs are naturally very active, boisterous, in your face and demanding. Pinning him to the ground won't help or work, as you have already experienced. In fact, 'punishing' a dog in a such a way is more like a big game to them. Confident young dogs are not usually phased by such a correction. Just a word of warning though - correct certain dogs in that way and you are likely to get your face bitten off, so such techniques are not recommend.

Walking your dog on weekends is nowhere NEAR enough exercise for a Lab. Not even remotely. Walking on its own isn't enough to tire a dog regardless, but you need to walk every DAY and not every week. If my dogs only got walked once a week, we wouldn't have a house left. An active young dog will need a good one hour of exercise per day, off leash ideally. Dogs need for their physical and mental health to have some kind of vigorous activity daily to stay sane -- you have already been given advice on what types of exercise a dog needs.

If you cannot provide for your dog and stimulate him physically and mentally, unfortunately his behaviour -- which is PERFECTLY normal considering the circumstances -- will only get worse.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

I read this far

He is crated for about 6 hours a day
    And stopped.

Culprit ID'ed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast