9 week old peeing in crate

Thread: 9 week old peeing in crate

stephanie79 is offline Junior Member

Default9 week old peeing in crate

Emmie's leg is fine!

Last night, I went to put her in her crate before bed and I smelled some urine. I took the towels out, and sure enough she had peed in there at somepoint. I don't get it, she whines in the middle of the night on average of once per night. We take her out before bed at 10pm, and sometime she'll get up between 2-4am and go, or lately, she's been going until 6-630am. My husband says she darts right outside and does both. He does not feed her, nor give her water until I get up with our kids. I feed her between 730-8am.

Then, today, we all went on a long walk, she did both before the walk, and peed after. I put her in the crate while I ran out for 2 hours to do some errands. When I came home, I took her out, and I noticed her hoo hoo was a bit wet, and sure enough, her towel in there is wet. What is going on??? She has minimal room in there, I don't know what the problem is. Now, I don't know how long this has been going on for?????????? She is taken outside for exercise every 2 hours during the day, and she always goes potty....I don't get it. I have a 5 year old yellow lab who never has done this................

What do I do...???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 9 week old peeing in crate

Well, she is still only 9 weeks old. Even when you stick to a tough schedule, accidents still occur. I would just keep doing as you are doing and in theory the frequency of accidents should stop as she ages.

Oh, and she shouldn't be going for long walks at all at 9 weeks of age, from a vaccination and jointcare perspective.

stephanie79 is offline Junior Member

I don't mean "long" - just as in enough to make her tired Plus, I've spoken to my vet at length about activity restrictions.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe28
    I don't mean "long" - just as in enough to make her tired Plus, I've spoken to my vet at length about activity restrictions.

It's not just the joint issue - she is not fully protected from common and fatal canine disease until after her full course of vaccinations. She cannot be walked though the neighborhood without risk of contracting diseases like Parvo - which lives on surfaces. She does not even have to meet up with an infected dog!

Little play sessions in your yard are better until she is older and fully protected.
    Sharon

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Hi there,
    At 9 weeks old, my labs and my golden had to urinate every 20 minutes or so - especially while active. During downtime, they learned to hold it up to 4 hours. It did take time to train though. Be patient.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

Rupert was 9 weeks old when we picked him up in late May. He was ok about not peeing in the crate, but whined whenever we put him in.

He had his share of accidents, despite our best efforts. Eventually I learned to basically accept that they will happen from time to time, especially because they pee so often.

I had these same questions and worries a few months back. All I can say is be patient and it will improve in time.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

At 9 weeks, they really have no control of their bladder and no idea about it other than "I need to go, and they go". We make sure we take puppies out after sleeping, after playing, after eating, and just about every 1-2 hr. PLUS watch them like hawks. My boys were still having accidents up to about 16 weeks.

TimC. is offline Senior Member

When you clean up the accidents no matter how well you clean the area, if your not using a neutralizer such as Nature's Miracle or white vinegar you will never get the spot clean enough.The puppy will smell it and think that's where she is supposed to go. The other thing is how big is the crate? If there is more room than enough to stand up and turn around it may be too big at this point. If she feels she has more than enough room she will go soil the corner and feel she has enough room. The third question I have is where did you get her, do you know anything about her history?
    Olie