Flea and tick treatment for yard.

Thread: Flea and tick treatment for yard.

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

DefaultFlea and tick treatment for yard.

We spend a lot of time playing in the yard and at the wooded dog park near our house.

We've got Rupert on Advantix and it seems to be working pretty well. The problem though is that there are fleas and ticks in the yard and we end up getting bit sometimes!

I think I might be coming down with Lyme disease. It's common in this area and I'm exposed to ticks left and right with the amount of time we spend outside with the dog.

Does anyone know a good yard treatment to kill fleas and ticks? I've seen a few that attach to the end of your hose and spray apply over the yard. Obviously I can't do much about the park but it will help if I can treat my yard.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_nellies mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Flea and tick treatment for yard.

Why not spray yourself with an anti-flea product before going out and wearing light colored clothes. Spraying will call all insects, both good and bad and is a chemical nightmare.
    <br />~~~~~~~~<br />Danie<br />Nellie, CGC<br />~~~~~~~~<br />The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

You know - that's a good idea. And I hadn't thought about killing the 'good bugs' in my yard.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I have my Puff on Frontline Plus and Interceptor and she's not had a flea or tick despite going for an hour walk in the woods almost every morning (that's about 2,400 times).

I've not been as lucky. So I use a spray on my boots, socks, & pant legs.

Does Vermont (I grew up in Reading, went to Springfield HS, have relatives in Brattleboro & near Middlebury) have a state Agricultural extension office? If so, you might check with them about environmentally friendly treatments for your grounds.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

imported_labfamily is offline Junior Member

I have a friend who is a breeder of dachshunds. She has five at the moment and moved to a home with a yard infested with fleas. She is always one to go as natural a route as possible when treating her dogs or yard. Her solution was beneficial nematodes (sp) that she ordered online. They came in the mail, she sprinkled them in the yard--not a problem with fleas at all this year (does not use any flea preventative on the dogs.) Purely anecdotal experience, but one I will look into if we run into a flea problem around here.
    Beau, August 13, 2008<br />12 weeks old in photo<br /><br />