9 week old fell, now limping
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9 week old fell, now limping

stephanie79 is offline Junior Member

Default9 week old fell, now limping

We have a 9 week old yellow lab. This morning she went over and bit my 8 month old (playing, of course). My husband said she wouldn't let go of my daughters clothes, so he pushed Emmie (the pup) away fast since our daughter was screaming, and she fell onto her right side. She started yelping so loud, it was horrendous. I picked her up immediately, and within a minute (the longest minute ever) she stopped. I held her for a few minutes, put her down, and continued to limp on her front right paw. I've massaged it, and haven't found any tender spots on her. I have put her in the crate to rest. Our vet is closed, and I don't know what to do. She doesn't seem in any pain, but I'm worried.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

ETA: It's been about 1.5 hours. She's spent 45 minutes in her crate when she cried to go outside. She limped, but seemed OK, she attempted to run after our 5 year old lab without difficulty. When she stopped, she continued to limp on the leg.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

DefaultRe: 9 week old fell, now limping

Sounds like a muscle injury. Compared to her left front paw, is there any swelling or bruising? I'd try to keep her from running and playing with the 5 year old until you can have the vet look at her. Any sudden strenuous activity could just make it worse.

No, no tenderness or swelling noted. I've manipulated her arm in many directions with no tenderness or guarding noted. I just took her out again and It seems to be improving with less limping. The vet is closed tomorrow...I don't think it is necessary to take her to the emergency vet?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

as long as you take her to your vet asap when they open - and take her to emerg if she yelps, gets lamer, sops eating or being normal you'll probably be ok

I would keep her crated and very quiet in the meantime

green stick fractures aren't uncommon in puppies her age and running on a fractured bone can really complicate things

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Most definitely. She is not limping right now, and when she does, it is very hard to see it at all.

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Well - maybe I am just cranky tonight - but may I ask why your infant child is in the reach of your infant puppy? You should not be allowing any interaction here. At all.

And - "pushing the puppy away fast" in a manner that caused her to fall sideways and be hurt - sounds like a this may have been too forceful - maybe? She is as much an infant as your human baby. She needs gentle handling and you need to set her up for successful interactions in your household. Anytime that a puppy hurts a baby - it is the owners fault and responsibiity.

I am sorry if this offends. You have a lot of your plate with 2 babies to care for - I sympathize - but please control the situation to keep them both safe.
    Sharon

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Sharon, you make a great point.

Hopefully the puppy isn't hurt. We haven't seen an update as to whether the pup is still limping or not.

Your husband also needs to realize that a puppy is small and fragile too. The puppy wasn't letting go of the infant's clothes...of course not, the baby's screaming, that's inciting the pups excitement over the situation. Things usually go wrong very quickly when kids are allowed to scream and shriek around puppies, that usually riles them up even worse. Do a little practice with the pup so that the next time she is attached to your child's clothes or blanket, you can react calmly. With one hand, just slip your fingers between the pup's teeth and loosen the grip, and remove the child from the situation. Or else pick the pup up and put it in an xpen, and then attend to the child.

ButterGirl is offline Junior Member

I think it's a bit unfair to chastise her for keeping the baby and puppy together, and also for the dad to react in that way. Accidents happen and parents obviously react in a way to save their baby, not a puppy! if your baby and puppy were drowning would you save the puppy instead? hmmm. People need to get a grip sometimes.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

This thread is 2008.
    Often I wonder how these pups are and if they are still around.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

4 year old thread. Always has me curious, usually newbies drudge up old threads as they are having a similar problem. Interesting first post from you.

Yes accidents happen, but this is hardly a case where there has to be a life or death choice between a baby & a puppy, so don't go overboard. An adult with a human and canine infant in their charge should have been able to assess the situation for its actual threat and proceed accordingly. The husband used excessive force. Bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterGirl View Post
    I think it's a bit unfair to chastise her for keeping the baby and puppy together, and also for the dad to react in that way. Accidents happen and parents obviously react in a way to save their baby, not a puppy! if your baby and puppy were drowning would you save the puppy instead? hmmm. People need to get a grip sometimes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast