Wild Puppy

Thread: Wild Puppy

MrGame is offline Junior Member

DefaultWild Puppy

My pup, Grover, constantly runs around the house in the evening and barks when we try to correct him. He isn't crated all day, just the few hours I'm at work, and I take him out for a walk of decent length (he's only 5 months so jogs and long walks are out). Is there any type of specific correction or command I should be teaching him to quell this behavior? And also, he isn't interested in anything he can't eat. Pig ears, bully sticks, and Nylabone Healthy Edibles go quickly but regular Nylabones, Kongs (regardless of what they're filled with) and other types of doggy toys are of no interest to him whatsoever. Is there any way to teach him to enjoy these toys too, so I don't have to feed him whenever I need to occupy him for a bit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

How much time are you putting into mental exercise - like training sessions? If physical exercise is not slowing him down - he probably needs some mental exercise. I would work have him do doggy pushups (sit/down/stand/sit) and learning to stay, working on recall.

I would not feed him any of those things. IMO - he does not like the nylabones and kongs because you have made pigs ears, bully sticks and edibles available to him. My dogs know nothing of any of those treats - they have never seen them - and they do enjoy chewing on the nylabones and (rarely) they get a stuffed frozen Kong. You can also use a raw beef bone as a treat - with a young puppy I would limit chew time on it to 20 minutes at a clip and scoop out a lot of the marrow. It's pretty rich and could produce an upset gut.

I think pig's ears and bully sticks and rawhides are gross, dangerous and sometimes from questionable sources (possibly preserved with formaldehyde). YUK!

He also should learn to occupy himself when you need peace. Put him in the crate with a nylabone and ignore his complaints. Mine get crated when I need them to be - and even if someone is home I hear no whining.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

MrGame is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    How much time are you putting into mental exercise - like training sessions? If physical exercise is not slowing him down - he probably needs some mental exercise. I would work have him do doggy pushups (sit/down/stand/sit) and learning to stay, working on recall.

I would not feed him any of those things. IMO - he does not like the nylabones and kongs because you have made pigs ears, bully sticks and edibles available to him. My dogs know nothing of any of those treats - they have never seen them - and they do enjoy chewing on the nylabones and (rarely) they get a stuffed frozen Kong. You can also use a raw beef bone as a treat - with a young puppy I would limit chew time on it to 20 minutes at a clip and scoop out a lot of the marrow. It's pretty rich and could produce an upset gut.

I think pig's ears and bully sticks and rawhides are gross, dangerous and sometimes from questionable sources (possibly preserved with formaldehyde). YUK!

He also should learn to occupy himself when you need peace. Put him in the crate with a nylabone and ignore his complaints. Mine get crated when I need them to be - and even if someone is home I hear no whining.
    thanks for the heads up, I had no idea I was making things so complicated for him with the toys. From now on I'll keep the bully sticks, etc. put away and make sure that all that is available to him for a while are nylabones and other safe chews. Thanks for the advice

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lucys Momma is offline Member

Question "Big Brown Dog" how long did it take yours to be comfortable with being in the crate and not whining? Lucy is still young, I am just curious... Lucy doesn't wine when I put her in at bedtime, she goes right to sleep now but if she wakes up and has to go potty, I get up and take her then put her right back in her crate & I keep silent so she knows it's not play time but that is when she starts whining as soon as I walk away to go back to bed. It's usually around 4 or5 am. We are 100% consistent with ignoring the cries so hopefully what we are doing will work eventually. BTW, she is 10 wks...

Blaise - my puppy, now 9 months old - whined only the first couple of times I put him in there. He is a pretty easy going puppy and not inclined to fight city hall. The only time I hear complaining from him is when he is crated and we are taking our adult dog out alone.

Personalities and temperaments vary - so your dog may challenge being crated longer. Ignoring it consistently helps. Covering her crate with a sheet at night is also helpful.

Remember that dogs LOVE routine and a schedule. If you can be very consistent with bed time and other routine activities it will help. Blaise started putting himself to bed at 9 PM from the time he was 10 weeks old - he'd walk to the crate and stand there waiting for the door to open - because I had established a strict routine from the moment he arrived.

Lucys Momma is offline Member

Thank you for your advice! It sounds like we are on the right track. She goes night night at 90 oclock everynight and has been sleeping until 4 or 5 and I take her out andshe goes and then I put her back in until 6. thats when she whines but its about 20 minutes. I have been trying to cover her crate but she is somehow getting the pulled through into her crate lol. We always always ignore the cries when she is put back in. Hopefully it will pay off soon! Were very proud of her and are blessed to have such a great puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucys Momma View Post
    Thank you for your advice! It sounds like we are on the right track. She goes night night at 90 oclock everynight and has been sleeping until 4 or 5 and I take her out andshe goes and then I put her back in until 6. thats when she whines but its about 20 minutes. I have been trying to cover her crate but she is somehow getting the pulled through into her crate lol. We always always ignore the cries when she is put back in. Hopefully it will pay off soon! Were very proud of her and are blessed to have such a great puppy.
    You are very welcome!

If she is starting to chew the sheet, I would remove it. You don't want her ingesting a lot of fabric - potential blockage. I don't cover Blaise's crate anymore because he essentially shredded an old quilt and he really in only in there when I am not home (or at night when he wants to sleep anyway).