Puppy on the beach.

Thread: Puppy on the beach.

DefaultPuppy on the beach.

So, last night we took our little puppy to the beach. We live about a 10 min walk from said beach and want to get her used to it. We had a great time. We went in the late afternoon and were the only one's there, so we let her off the lead and were calling her to us, then treating her, then the other person would call. She had a great time running around and even playing a little fetch. The only thing was, she wouldn't go near the water. I have heard that labs are water loving dogs, and we dont want to scare her by forcing her in before she is ready. Any advice in helping make her first swim lots of fun? My idea was to take her with a friends dog who just loves to swim, so she can see its not scary. Is this a good idea or not really? any tips would be loved.

On a side note, Tuesday we went to the second puppy class, Dutchy just loves it. It turns out that two of her litter mates are also enrolled in the class and at the end of the lesson we had a little "social mixer", Dutchy and her brothers went straight for each other, playing and having a great time, just so very cute.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy on the beach.

Sounds normal to me. Milly was frightened of water at her first beach experience... she got over it when she watched the other dogs playing in the water. If you don't have the luxury of her romping around with other dogs on the beach maybe you should wade in with a treat a little ways at a time and praise her for each time she goes a bit deeper. Or throw a special retrieving toy in somewhere shallow and see how she reacts... if she REALLY wants the toy she'll coax herself in..

Always start somewhere shallow - you don't want to scare her forever if she drops under without any warning and you have to go rescue her! Also, Bob Pr talks about a life vest that he has for his lab... but I don't know if they make them in puppy sizes

Also, our lab is 8 months old. She still won't SWIM in the water.. happy to wade in up to her neck but won't swim. We figure she'll do it eventually...
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Bob Pr talks about a life vest that he has for his lab... but I don't know if they make them in puppy sizes
    Inexpensive canine life vests (all sizes):

http://www.partipoodlepetsupplies.com/kypebja.html

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Waves and fast moving water can be intimating to a pup that has never been introduced to it before. I would try taking her to a still or slow moving body of water that she can wade into. Going with a friend and a water loving dog is a great idea. Also, bring her favourite toy (if you don't have any floating toys, try purchasing a plastic bumper - they usually go down a treat with most Labs) to encourage her in.

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

We worked Rupert into the water slow and easy. His first experience was falling off a boat dock into water much deeper than he was, so he was freaked.

We started him from the shore and had him fetch a ball or treat out of the shallow water. One of us would stand out deeper than him to show it was safe. We also let him play in shallow, slow moving creeks where he could play without fear.

This weekend, we took him canoeing and beached the canoe at one point. He fetched in water deeper than a dog shallower than a human for an hour and loved it.

Like most things with these dogs, start slow, be patient and reassuring, and work up a little at a time.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I won't let my dogs in the ocean without a lead. If the surf can suck a human out, it can suck a dog out. It's not worth it to me.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

alright, so what we might do it when Dutchy gets just a little bigger we will take her and a friends dog to a near by lake, and keep her on a retractile lead, and take it slow.from everyones reply this sounds like the best idea. Thanks

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I just taught my little guys to swim. They liked water, but their first time at the lake, they basically got wet to their elbows and screwed around. I took them out separately with older dogs who do swim and they got the hang of it really quickly. Now they are 6 months and retrieving just fine from the lake.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't even do the retractable, they can be dangerous too. :embarrass: I use a 30 foot or 50 foot lead...I can let them out, or pull them back in.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"