need some advice on a pup that whimpers...A LOT!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need some advice on a pup that whimpers...A LOT!

Remi is offline Member

Defaultneed some advice on a pup that whimpers...A LOT!

Ok, I'm wondering if anyone can give us some advice (or just calm my fears) with our 15 week old puppy.

We've had him for a week now and he's doing great. He's getting the hang of his crate and hasn't had too many accidents in the house. He's great with people, good with our cats and for the most part good with other dogs. But he whimpers like it's his job. If I walk out of the room, he whimpers. Sometimes even when I'm standing right there he whimpers and whimpers AND whimpers!! I know he's a puppy but I don't know how to react to all the whimpering. Is he scared? Is he lonely? Or is he just whimpering to hear himself?? I think some of my fears stem from the fact that a friend of mine has a dog with some serious seperation anxiety issues and being the kind of "mom" I am, I worry...and I don't want to do anything that might make it worse. Any suggestions? I'd love them!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_nellies mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: need some advice on a pup that whimpers...A LOT!

First, I would find out if he's sick. Call your vet once that is ruled out I wouldn't pay too much attention to it or he will learn that whimpering gets attention. Is he crated or free when he cries? Does he get enough exercise and mental stimulation?
    <br />~~~~~~~~<br />Danie<br />Nellie, CGC<br />~~~~~~~~<br />The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I agree, see if it's a health thing.

Another thought -can you e-mail or call teh rescue? To see if he did this before?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Remi is offline Member

We just went to the vet last week for his 1st visit and the vet said he's healthy, no problems other than a skin infection that he's now on antibiotics for.

The crying can happen at anytime. Like right now...I'm sitting about 5 feet away from him in my living room typing this post, there's a baby gate between us and he has full view of me. He's whimpering, jumping up on the baby gate, and will sometimes go play with his toys. Yesterday we were at my barn and he was at my feet licking my ankle...and whimpering! In the mornings after his walk we baby gate him in the kitchen while we get ready for work and he whimpers. When we first got him he was aweful in the crate, he not only whimpered...he howled...for a good 20 to 30 minutes. We've been working on liking the crate (lots of treats, praise, etc.) and he now goes into it without any protest. It's like he's gotten comfortable with the crate and now being left alone baby gated into the kitchen is the problem. But he's got a crate in the kitchen he could use as a "safe" place if he wanted.

He gets lots of stimulation. He goes on 4+ walks a day, each are about 20 minutes long. When we're home we try to play with him and incorporate him into whatever we're doing (yard work, etc.), while we're at work my parents come to take him out and play with him and I take him with me to the barn on a daily basis. He's got toys up the whazoo, including a kong that I fill with peanut butter and treats. This is probably one of my pit falls....I struggle between whether or not I should be paying attention to him every second while I'm with him or giving him time and attention but also allowing him time to be by himself. I worry that if I give him too much attention he'll have problems with seperation later on. I'm new to puppyhood so I don't know these things.

I spoke with his foster mom when we adopted him and was told that he was one of the more independent pups in the litter. He was comfortable being on his own, playing with his toys but would come when called. He can be very independent at times, he'll take his chew toy and go into the other room and be content. More likely than not I'm being the over-reacting mom....but the whimpering can really get to a person! I find myself getting frustrated and thinking "Good gravy will you PLEASE stop!!"

Lucky.N.Lucy Guest

Sounds like barrier frustration. He's okay if it's his idea to go off on his own, but when you put a barrier between you and him, this creates stress.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Sounds like barrier frustration. He's okay if it's his idea to go off on his own, but when you put a barrier between you and him, this creates stress
    Agree
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Remi is offline Member

That makes sense!! Any ideas/suggestions on how to handle it??

sarah is offline Senior Member

You said that your 15 week puppy gets 4x20 minute walks per day? :scare: There is no way your almost 4 month old puppy needs that much exercise, be careful or you might overdo it and cause him issues! A puppy needs 5 minutes of exercise for every month they are old so your puppy only needs 1x20 minute walk per day.

My 8 month old gets 40mins of good exercise a day -- you're doing double what my 8 month old gets for a puppy half the age.

Sorry for the sidetrack. Your comment just alarmed me.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

sarah is offline Senior Member

to answer your whimpering question - ever since we got Milly we have followed the rule that if we are interacting with Milly we are paying her attention. If not she was either put in a room or crate with toys while we went about our business. Now that she is older and more well-behaved she will either put herself in her crate if we aren't paying her attention or we order her to her "blankie" when we are doing things that don't include her. (Such as cooking, washing up, cleaning, entertaining friends) The blankie is a bed in our loungeroom that is her domain. When we watch tv she watches it from her blankie too.

Works well, she's allowed in the same room but she knows that she needs to be in her own area. She's usually happy with laying there and observing us or she'll sleep and snore as we work around her.

Getting her used to going to her blankie really took time. We'd coax her there with a toy and praise and treat.... then when she got off we'd pick her up and place her on the blankie. When we came in from toilet time while she was leashed we'd guide her to the blankie and praise treat if she stayed there. It took lots of persistence to get her to stay on it... at first even for 5 seconds was a win! But well worth the effort.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Maybe the whimpers are just his way of talking.

When I started training the boys to walk on a leash, it was very interesting. Jed, who is shy and submissive in the house with the pack, became bold outside and LOVED walking on the leash with 2 of the adults. He was big, bad and bold the whole time.

Jackson, who is the more dominant of the 2 pups in the house, became a wuss on walks. Whimpered the whole walk, though he appeared to love it. He was just a bit unsure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast