How to handle the loss of our senior lab with Dolan

Thread: How to handle the loss of our senior lab with Dolan

dolansdad is offline Junior Member

DefaultHow to handle the loss of our senior lab with Dolan

Our 14 year old yellow, Cinnamon passed last night. I have not had any experience what effect this will have on our 14 month old chocolate, Dolan.

He was freaked out last night when we took our senior to the vet, and when we came home without him, Dolan was searching the spots Cinnamon used to sleep in. He didn't sleep well last night, and this morning he searched around, then just lay down in our front room, where they both used to nap. This is really unusual and way out of his morning routine. He did eat his breakfast.

Any advice on what to look for or what to do to help him through this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How to handle the loss of our senior lab with Dolan

Quote Originally Posted by dolansdad
    Our 14 year old yellow, Cinnamon passed last night. I have not had any experience what effect this will have on our 14 month old chocolate, Dolan.

He was freaked out last night when we took our senior to the vet, and when we came home without him, Dolan was searching the spots Cinnamon used to sleep in. He didn't sleep well last night, and this morning he searched around, then just lay down in our front room, where they both used to nap. This is really unusual and way out of his morning routine. He did eat his breakfast.

Any advice on what to look for or what to do to help him through this?
    I am so sorry for the loss of your dog. 14 is a ripe old age!

Your puppy will certainly mourn the loss of his companion as you would expect him to. I would just allow him to have his space, give him a little more attention and not react negatively if he appears to regress a little in this period. He will adapt and get over this in time.
    Sharon

Garth is offline Registered Users

I recently went through the same thing with my Pug when my boy died. When I took Jo to the vet for the last time, I asked my neighbour to take Ronnie (my Pug) out for a walk because I didn't want him to see him go. When I came back, Ronnie ran to the door & was looking at the car waiting for Jo to come in. Boy was that bloody hard but I don't need to tell you that. He did that routine for about 2 weeks before he finally settled down.

My best advice to you is to carry on as normal - I know that's easy to say, but for the sake of the dog, try. He'll need that extra bit of love & attention to help him get through it too. Take him out for extra walks or drives in the car to help take his mind off it. I would also buy him a couple of new toys or chew bars as a way of taking his mind off it. Despite what some people say, dogs DO grieve & it's tragic to watch.

I would try & get another dog ASAP. I did. At the time, there were no Lab puppies around here so I asked my vet to let me know if she knew of any dogs that needed a new home. About 2 weeks later, she rang me & I adopted my GSD. It was love at first sight between her & Ronnie & they get on really well but not the same closeness he had with Jo. Since I've had her, life is pretty much back to normal. Nothing will ever truly replace that special dog you had previously, but it will help a lot with the healing process.

I'm sorry for your loss.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry for your loss.

I think keeping the routine as uniform as possible would be helpful. Time helps, too. Replacing Cinnamon ASAP with another dog may be helpful for Dolan but I can't recommend that for people.

The healthiest way for people to handle the loss of a significant relationship is to grieve, mourn, and then do something that transforms the pain into something that's, for instance, useful or beautiful, etc. -- e.g., in the case of your loss of Cinnamon, for you to volunteer at a shelter, or help rescues or fosters, writing up memories of Cinnamon, etc.

If a person loses a significant emotional relationship (say a spouse or partner) to death or divorce, etc., to immediately replace the missing one with a new other doesn't do justice to a reasoned selection process or to the person chosen as the replacement.

But I doubt that dogs are that much like humans in that respect. I'm sure they miss and grieve but I doubt most of them carry as much emotional baggage as most of us do.

Maybe finding another dog that could visit? Or that he could visit and have playdates with? Or helping to foster other dogs? Any of those would help Dolan.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

I am very sorry for your loss.

imported_oakley is offline Senior Member

I have no advice but I am very sorry for your loss.

Lana

TimC. is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry for your loss. 14 years is a good life but its never enough. I would take the young dog on walks to new places.
    Olie

dolansdad is offline Junior Member

Thank you all for the kind words and advice. Dolan is still off, not eating normally, searches the house a few times a day looking for Cinnamon, but he's getting better each day.

Thanks again