Best time to take pup from litter

Thread: Best time to take pup from litter

DefaultBest time to take pup from litter

I was just reading about young "lucifer" the 7 week old pup... and it got me wondering, is there any preferred time frame for a pup to leave its litter? Ive heard 7 - 8 weeks.....any longer than that to teach it some manners from his mother and siblings?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Best time to take pup from litter

we asked to take Milly at 9 weeks... it ended up being almost 9.5 wks when we did pick her up. She wasn't very mouthy at all - I think the extra 1-2 weeks really helped with that. And toilet training her was a cinch! But then again, we could have been just lucky
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Gene Guest

They say to wait until they are 8 weeks old. A good breeder will not release them til the pups are that age.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

I would say at least 8 weeks with the littermates & mother. Our Otis was surrendered to the shelter at 7weeks, but he was with his littermates until 10 weeks. He was the best puppy I've ever known.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Some state laws mandate 8 wks in the U.S. 7-8 is best. Earlier at the insistence of a breeder is a red flag.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

We got Bess when she was 5 weeks old and she never learned to play with other dogs; she seemed to consider herself a person. Scott & Fuller reported personality quirks in dogs taken too early from their mother and littermates. They also reported problems socializing with people if allowed to remain primarily with other dogs too long (>15? >25? weeks, I can't remember which but any date is just a statistical group average based on individual variation). While some "dog authorities" specify exactly 49 days, that's far too rigid a date and doesn't respect the individual variability that always occurs in any breed and any litter. As mentioned, some states legally specify 8 weeks and that's probably a perfectly fine time for most dogs.

At these early ages, there are windows ("critical periods," aka "sensitive periods") in which there are several developmetal phases that open at a particular age at which the experience needs to be acquired and then which close later on. Experiences happening within that phase tend to be VERY quickly learned and retained for life. Lacking that experience at that time, while some later training may be able to partially make up for the earlier lack, it will never be as good or as permanent. (I suspect if you log on to www.wikipedia.org and search for imprinting, critical periods, sensitive periods, you'll find a lot of information.)

FWIW, I got Puff at 9 weeks age she's had no problem playing with other dogs or socializing with people
    ETA - I read the wiki entry for imprinting (psychology, ethology) and found it valuable but pretty puny. It lists only imprinting in birds, and it's true that birds are particularly rich in utilizing imprinting and particularly easy to study. However, imprinting and critical/ sensitive periods has been researched in many species, including goats, sheep, dogs, rabbits, people, fish, etc. People, too? (some might wonder). Yes, in several aspects: one is language acquisition and development.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks for the help everyone....

It sounds like 8 weeks might be the optimum.

Bob, im familiar with imprinting as it happens with finches that i breed. Sometimes i have to foster baby finches to a finch nest of a different species or they will not live due to bad parents. Sometimes (apparently) these birds will not breed later on because they wont go back to their own species. They think the new species should be their mate and it simply doesnt work. Ive never had this problem with my birds, but apparently it can happen.

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

Our breeder said 7-8 weeks. Jeb was 7.5 weeks and still likes to "bite" at 1.5 years. His grandsire is also very mouthy so we attribute his to genetics. Don't know if that's correct or not. It does get better with age and correction.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Bob, im familiar with imprinting as it happens with finches that i breed. Sometimes i have to foster baby finches to a finch nest of a different species or they will not live due to bad parents. Sometimes (apparently) these birds will not breed later on because they wont go back to their own species. They think the new species should be their mate and it simply doesnt work. Ive never had this problem with my birds, but apparently it can happen
    That's a very common happening among adopted baby birds.

The critical period for the determining of "which bird species is it correct to mate with" varies from species to species and, within each species, on particular cues (visual, auditory, etc.).

Konrad Lorenz (the scientist/ethologist who discovered imprinting and critical periods)wrote some highly entertaing books you might enjoy, among them "King Solomon's Ring"
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748