Itchy collar?

Thread: Itchy collar?

absynthe is offline Member

DefaultItchy collar?

So "Pup", as we will call him until he "earns" his name, has only had a collar on since last night at around 8, after I bought it for him.

I noticed he scratches it a lot of the time. This morning, the scratching has improved, but he still scratches at the collar a bit. It's a standard blue nylon mesh, one of the $3 ones from PetSmart since he'll outgrow it soon. Is this a possible allergy or just a normal reaction to being only 7 weeks old and suddenly having a collar?

Side note:
    Crate training is going pretty well. I don't really have anything to use as a partition, but he hasn't gone once in it - yet *knocks on wood*. So far I'm learning that when he whines a lot and wanders around like he's very confused, he has to go. He had quite a few accidents last night, but we're both learning, and of course, I didn't yell at him. If I could catch him, I'd grab his behind and chest, carry him through the door, all the while saying "Outside, outside, outside" because it was a knee jerk reaction. This morning, as he did his business, lots of praise for whatever business he was doing. So far, so good *knocks harder on said wood*.

Thanks for your time!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Itchy collar?

Probably just not used to the collar.. is there any redness or irritation under the collar? If not, and it's not too tight (you can put two fingers between the collar and the neck), I wouldn't worry. He'll get used to it soon enough.

Try to make sure your pup is directly supervised when out of the crate.. this will limit accidents and speed up housetraining.

absynthe is offline Member

Thanks!

No irritation on the neck, and it's loose enough to spin when he scratches it.

I'm always with him when he's out of the crate right now, though when he sleeps I distance a bit so he doesn't completely lose it when I have to go to class and/or work. Not to worry, my live-in boyfriend is great, and we have opposite schedules, so someone is always here with Pup.

I can't wait til he earns his name. We're very big on naming according to personality, and that takes a bit of time...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MooseDog is offline Member

Moose would scratch and scratch and scratch when we first put his collar on him that I almost felt bad for making him wear it! We put it on for short periods of time (half hour on, half hour off, etc) for the first day and then eventually left it on longer until he didn't even notice it was on. We took it off while he was in his kennel overnight because I worried it might snag on something and choke him.
    Moose

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MooseDog
    Moose would scratch and scratch and scratch when we first put his collar on him that I almost felt bad for making him wear it! We put it on for short periods of time (half hour on, half hour off, etc) for the first day and then eventually left it on longer until he didn't even notice it was on. We took it off while he was in his kennel overnight because I worried it might snag on something and choke him.
    That's what we did with Tundra, it worked out, he didn't realise it was on him eventually.

sarah is offline Senior Member

your pup is just getting used to his collar... as for the divider, do you have an esky? I don't know what you yanks call it.. umm a drink cooler/ice chest/chilly bin (that the Kiwi's term for it)

Stick one of those if you have one at one end of the crate for a divider - they work great!!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Please make sure to ALWAYS take the collar off when he goes in the crate. It could get snagged on the the crate and he could choke himself to death. :no:

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Dave121 is offline Member

Yep, Dexter scratched his neck for a while when we first put the collar on him.