Need some suggestions......please!

Thread: Need some suggestions......please!

lablover88 is offline Member

DefaultNeed some suggestions......please!

So, I posted just a couple days ago about Bailey, but he has once again raised another question that I know you all are better apt to answer.

He is 4 years old. We are temporarily living with my parents and their two pugs. Bailey has been an only child for four years, and I am noticing that he has stopped obeying me when the pugs are around. For example, when we walk all three of the dogs together, I am noticing that Bailey does not mind me when I tell him to come or sit. Generally, he is really good about obeying commands. But, again, he's not used to walking with other dogs outside of the dog park.

Also, and even more problematic, he gets very rowdy with the little pugs and tries to play tug of war with them. He's too big, so I try to take the toy away from him using the "drop it" command. He knows the command and has always obeyed it, but now he won't listen to me. I'm not sure what to do because he's always been good at obeying me.

I am hoping someone can give me some good pointers or perhaps a good book or article to read about how to correct these problems. I plan on getting a puppy in February and I'm worried that his behavior problems now will continue to get worse once we introduce a new puppy. Suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

DefaultRe: Need some suggestions......please!

Quote Originally Posted by lablover88
    Also, and even more problematic, he gets very rowdy with the little pugs and tries to play tug of war with them. He's too big, so I try to take the toy away from him using the "drop it" command. He knows the command and has always obeyed it, but now he won't listen to me. I'm not sure what to do because he's always been good at obeying me.
    Firstly, don't worry about him being "too big" for the Pugs. They're tough little guys & are more than capable of looking after themselves around Labs. When Jo (my Lab) was alive, he lived with 2 of them with no problems. My current Pug (the one in my siggy pic with him) was the alpha dog around Jo & he knew it.

Are the Pugs well trained?. It sounds to me, if the Pugs are trained in the basics of come, sit, stay, then Bailey should do the same when they're together. During the last week, I've been leash training my neighbours Rottie & teaching her to sit before we cross the street etc. I had her in my back yard yesterday & told her to SIT!. She did & so did my 2. It looked so funny to see the 3 of them doing the same thing together. This is why I think if the 3 of them were all taught the same commands, they should follow each other. Just my opinion.

lablover88 is offline Member

DefaultRe: Need some suggestions......please!

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, the pugs we're living with are NOT well trained. Perhaps that is why Bailey is not minding me! I suppose I will just have to keep working with him until he understands that he still must obey his commands.