7 week old puppy. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HELP!!

Thread: 7 week old puppy. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HELP!!

kubiac3 is offline Junior Member

Default7 week old puppy. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HELP!!

Just got a 7 week old Black Lab. This dog is a deamon seed. I've had 2 yellow lab pups and a mut before and never had this kind of trouble getting a dog in line. Heres the problems....

He will not stop biting me and others.

When he goes outside all he does is fill his mouth with grass and run away from you.

I've tried throwing balls for him, sticks, everything. He just does not care. He wants to eat the grass/plants and thats that. As for the biting goes, when he does it or grabs anything he shouldn't have I hold his mouth shut and tell him no. I also praise him when he plays with his toys. Hes been here for a week now and the only thing that has changed is he is fairly potty trained. Ive been trying to come up with a name for him but the only thing that fits his personality right now is Lucifer.

As for crate rules... When hes being completely out of control is it a bad idea to put him in his crate and let him cry? I feel bad, but it seems like it works as far as getting him to calm down.

Any and all help would be amazing.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 7 week old puppy. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HELP!!

I can't help much but I suspect that part of your problem is that he was taken away from his siblings too soon. Generally siblings teach puppies about biting too hard and some other social graces. Also playing with siblings helps to tire them out. He sounds like he has energy to spare and certainly crating will only make that issue worse.
    Anyone nearby with young puppies that you can schedule for play dates?

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rayluckgoo
    I can't help much but I suspect that part of your problem is that he was taken away from his siblings too soon. Generally siblings teach puppies about biting too hard and some other social graces. Also playing with siblings helps to tire them out. He sounds like he has energy to spare and certainly crating will only make that issue worse.
    Anyone nearby with young puppies that you can schedule for play dates?
    I agree with this between 6 to 8 weeks his mother and litter mates will have taught him some manners.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kubiac3
    Just got a 7 week old Black Lab. This dog is a deamon seed. I've had 2 yellow lab pups and a mut before and never had this kind of trouble getting a dog in line. Heres the problems....

When he goes outside all he does is fill his mouth with grass and run away from you.

I've tried throwing balls for him, sticks, everything. He just does not care. He wants to eat the grass/plants and thats that. As for the biting goes, when he does it or grabs anything he shouldn't have I hold his mouth shut and tell him no. I also praise him when he plays with his toys. Hes been here for a week now and the only thing that has changed is he is fairly potty trained. Ive been trying to come up with a name for him but the only thing that fits his personality right now is Lucifer.

As for crate rules... When hes being completely out of control is it a bad idea to put him in his crate and let him cry? I feel bad, but it seems like it works as far as getting him to calm down.

Thanks.
    well it sounds like you have a real handful! I agree with the others, your puppy was taken too early from it's littermates and has not been taught proper bite inhibition. You now need to teach him that ...but baby puppy teeth are painful! When playing with your puppy ALWAYS have a toy between you and those little teeth! If he bites you squeal really loud and turn away and ignore him... if he bites your ankles while you have your back to him then I would suggest tie him to somewhere while you are playing and then when he bites squeal "oww" loudly and turn your back just out of his reach. When he calms down treat and praise really really well to let him know he's been good.

Crate time out is affective but you don't want to overuse it. He make end up thinking that the crate is somewhere that he only goes when he's been naughty and that will make house training difficult for you. Make sure you play with him and treat him in the crate too just to mix it up a little.

When you take him outside keep him on the lead, he can't run away from you then! If you want him to have some space then tie a bit of clothesline around his collar so you can reel him in. ALWAYS treat him when he is reeled in ... eventually he'll put two and two together and realise that he is treated when he comes to you. Also, playing hide and seek in the house teaches puppies to come really well and also teaches them their name easily too.

As for throwing him things to retrieve - you have a TINY baby in your home who's attention span is literally about 30 seconds long. Playing like that won't keep him occupied for very long at all. Wait a bit longer until you try that... getting him to come to you will be a good start to teaching retrieve. When you call 'come' make sure you say it in such a high pitched, happy voice that he'll REALLY want to come to you. Puppies this young really need ALOT of encouragment and patience.

Hope this helps - please post pictures of Lucifer when you can! I bet he's adorable

cheers Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

sarah is offline Senior Member

one more thing - I was at a Zoo about 6 months ago and there were 10 month old twin babies there with their parents ... they made a huge racket until they were let out of the pram and then sat on the ground and proceeded to eat the dirt. The mother tried very hard to stop them but clearly wasn't going to get anywhere.

Your puppy is like these babies.... think of how much sleeping and learning a 10 month old baby does everyday (and their small attention span!) - your puppy is NO different.. except that the only way it can learn and explore about the world is with it's mouth and razor like teeth haha... so the dirt eating thing is pretty normal. Just don't let him eat sticks or too much grass if possible .. it can cause an upset stomach and sticks can cause stomach obstruction. Also, don't take your puppy outside your yard until it's had it's full round of shots. You don't want your puppy eating unknown dirt and ending up very sick

cheers
    Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kubiac3

Thanks.
    You need to reduce your expectations and be patient. This is a very young puppy - and infant. Should still be in the litter with mommy. I am surprised that you have successfully potty trained him already.

Just take it slow and be consistent.
    Sharon

lablover88 is offline Member

I have nothing to add except that your post was hilarious and I'm still giggling. When my lab was a pup he also had some pretty Lucifer-like traits. Hang in there!

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

Oh my...poor little demon dog. Sounds a bit like Remy when we first got him. We got him at 8 weeks and he still had no bite inhibition. Ouch!! And he also didn't seem too interested in us at first...liked our other dog, but really didn't listen to us too much. What worked?

KIBBLE.

He got more than half of his food by hand. Any time he did something good? "GOOD BOY!" Here have some kibble... All of the sudden...I was more interesting than dirt, chewing on shoes or even chasing after our other dog.

He was wicked bitey too. (Search my "BITING: Need to Vent" thread from February) Toy substitution like Sarah suggested works...some of the time. So does spraying bitter apple on your hands. When giving kibble and he would lunge with those fangs for the treat? I would close my hand over it and say "Gentle" and if he was calmer than I would give it to him. Our trainer recommended giving treats by jamming the food way back in their mouth if they tried to bite. Then they don't get to enjoy the food. Also try holding the treat with your thumb pressing it to the flat inside of your hand and put your hand to the dogs mouth and release - you'll lose less fingers that way. It is gonna take time..weeks to a couple of months before the biting stops...just keep working it and be patient. He doesn't know any better and he has no idea that he is hurting you. Remember to yell "Ow!" and stop all play and walk away if you get bit...just like another puppy in the litter would.

And even at 7 weeks you can start training your dog. Pick a name for him...and start calling him. Any time he even turns to look at you - give him a treat. You want him to respond to his name. You want him to know that all good things come from you...

Good luck and keep posting questions!
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

BTW - most of us are NOT LAUGHING AT YOU - but with you - I think anyone with a lab puppy has gone thru the "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, HELP!" stage. It really will get better!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

If it's any consolation to you, I've recently heard from a "dog expert" that the more determined, repetitve biting that puppies do is a sign that those same puppies will be more considerate and sensitive about using their teeth as adults.

Something to look forward to.

FWIW, I used a distract & substitute method when my Puff attacked my ankles, hands, spectacles, furniture legs, computer & TV wires, stairs, etc.

I carried some Hartz Mountain chewsticks ALWAYS in my pocket ('never be around a chewing pup without one').

Whenever she attacked a no-no, I distracted her with a chewstick and substituted it.

At that time -- 6+ years ago -- there were a variety of these cigarillo size/shape chewsticks on the market. Some were made in the US or extended UK where there are adequate laws & regs on animal foods. Many were made in 3rd world countries without manufacturer names or 800 customer service phone #s.

BUT BEWARE:
    Since I've heard of some pups getting upset stomachs from these, at a minimum I'd say don't try a brand unless there's some adequate, clear way of contacting the mfr or distributor with a complaint or question.

These products are typically made of small granules of animal skin bound together in a gelatinous, flavored binder. Some mfrs clean the granules with lye but don't adequately flush the lye off.

Stay with some brand that guarantees customer satisfaction and with definite contact information.

ETA: I Googled Hartz Mountain and they no longer carry the type of chew sticks they once did. Perhaps they can longer get those that are safe for pups?

I did find these (which are similar to the ones I used) but have no idea if they are safe or not. You might inquire of the supplier where they come from and if they guarantee they are safe for your puppy to chew and digest:

http://www.jbpet.com/Munchy-Stix,520.html
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748