My Lab chases and bites me
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Lab chases and bites me

BigJake is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy Lab chases and bites me

I have 2 dogs, a 7 month old Yellow Lab named Jake (about 65lbs) and a 13 month old Pit mix named Layla. Before we had Jake, I used to run around the house from Layla and she would chase me around, playing and licking me when I let her catch me. When I play this game with Jake, he gets very upset, barking a loud high pitched bark, and keeps trying to bite my legs or anything he can get his teeth on. If Layla gets in between us, he gets mad and attacks her. When he catches me, he wants to jump up in my face, or bite me.

Is he just playing really rough? Or is this some kind of really upset behavior because he doesnt want me running away from him? Should I not play this game? Me and Layla used to have so much fun, but now it's kind of ruined. Thanks for any help

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

DefaultRe: My Lab chases and bites me

Quote Originally Posted by BigJake
    Should I not play this game?
    No you shouldn't. Think about it. The dog is in the position of the hunter & you're setting yourself up as the prey. What does a wolf (or any other animal) do when it wants food?. It runs after it & attacks it.

IMO, you should revert to throwing a ball, making the dog bring it back & drop it at your feet. This will instill in the dog that YOU'RE the boss (IE: pack leader) in this scenario & not him. Depending on what training you've already done with him, this may take some time but once mastered, you'll find playtime will be much more enjoyable for both of you.

imported_merlin is offline Senior Member

I play this sort of game with merlin, He runs after me, but when he catches up to me i will just stop and we will continue the game, (we are usually playing a type of soccer when I do the running) so it makes it really fun and great exercise for both of us. I wouldnt say he thinks of me as 'prey' but it sounds as if your lil one is getting upset or perhaps over stimulated? I didnt start playing this chasey game with Merlin till he was almost two, so that might help with his understanding of the 'game' and not something terrible.
    <br />[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=515&amp;i=mg7637smallna4.jpg]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Usually, the high pitched bark is a "I wanna play" bark.
    Jake needs to learn the rules if he wants to play.

If Layla gets in between us, he gets mad and attacks her. When he catches me, he wants to jump up in my face, or bite me.
    I wonder if he's trying to initiate bitey face? Anyone, opinions?
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

I'm a new Lab mommy myself, so you feel free to take this advice or leave it. What I've found with Gracie (5 mos old today) is that when she is overstimulated or I've engaged in activities that make me seem more like a littermate than The Mom (pack leader if you like) she jumps and bites as high up as she can. It got so bad at one point, I really thought about what was going on and what I came to was this. When I run or dance around and act silly, Gracie wants to play bitey face - exactly what you're describing, but without the barking (Gracie is VERY quiet). When I toss a ball or toy, play tug, or work on her training commands, no more jumping. Oh, she still bites, but she's a Lab! Her idea of a goodnight hug and kiss is to take my whole arm in her mouth and then let go and lick my hand.

Mona

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Hmmm....this is one of those times it's hard to visualize the situation!

It sounds a great deal like when Rocky and I "wrestle". He goes into full out dog play mode. He will jump way up on me and bite me. He will play with me like an equal (some may say he thinks he is dominant in this play but trust me, all I need to do is say sit and he sits even in that exited state so I see it as more equals).

Same with his reaction to the dog getting between the two of you. It may very well just be normal dog play.

Have you spent much time at a dog park watching dogs play rough? can you tell if it's just that or if it's more aggressive?

Without seeing it it's hard ot say if it's more play or more alpha behavior.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigJake is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by garthc
    No you shouldn't. Think about it. The dog is in the position of the hunter & you're setting yourself up as the prey. What does a wolf (or any other animal) do when it wants food?. It runs after it & attacks it.

IMO, you should revert to throwing a ball, making the dog bring it back & drop it at your feet. This will instill in the dog that YOU'RE the boss (IE: pack leader) in this scenario & not him. Depending on what training you've already done with him, this may take some time but once mastered, you'll find playtime will be much more enjoyable for both of you.

Are you seriously teaching me how to play fetch with my dog? We had that game mastered within the first couple weeks. This is just one of many games I have played with the dogs I have had over the years. He is one of the smartest dogs I've ever seen, and has learned so many games and tricks in his 7 months I can't believe it.

His high pitched bark is usually an upset bark. Not a angry bark, like when he barks at his sister, but like when we leave the house without him and he's upset. I find it very unusual that he jumps and bites me after he's making the noise he makes when he wants us to come back. When Layla gets inbetween us, he makes loud angry means barks, and bites at her, and of course she reacts. But at me he barls high pitched and kinda sad.

As far as being aggressive... I've had everything from Rottweilers and pitbulls, to Mini Schnauzers and Boston Terriers and never have I seen a dog react in this way to this game. If he was "hunting" me, why would he out of the all the dogs Ive played this game with be the only one to act like a wolf? Jake has never been aggressive towards me, and upon even being scolded, he hinds under "his" table in my bedroom. Maybe I should have given more backgroud in the first post, but I dislike reading other people's posts that go on an on like blogs, talking about everything from their favorite ice cream to their elementary school.

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

Are you seriously teaching me how to play fetch with my dog?
    Are you seriously being snotty with someone who gave you advice when you asked for it?

It sounds to me like your puppy is either playing in a way that you're not used to and that makes it seem like he's upset, or is getting overstimulated and upset. If it's the first, then I would just let it go, while still discouraging any bitey behavior. If it's the second (which it sounds like from your second post), then it would be best to cut that particular game out, in my opinion. That game could remain a special game just for you and your older dog - who should still be getting some one-on-one training and playing time, anyway.

To be honest, I'm not actually a fan of running/chasing games with dogs. I'm uncomfortable teaching a dog something that could be dangerous, like that game could be with a small child.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

Scrolls01 Guest

I also do the same thing with Lucky, and we're usualy sitting in the grass out back and we wrestle and I throw him to the ground when we wrestle and he comes back for more, and sometimes I can stand there, and move suddenly and he'll bolt after me, teeth drawn and so forth, but has never bitten me yet, but I also taught him the 'no bite" rule, at least not hard. If he does bite when we play, then I let him slide on that as long as he doesn't bite hard.

To me, the high pitch bark sounds like he wants to play, not be mad or angry because you leave. The biting part if he is biting, then maybe you should teach him to not bite by saying "no bite" Eventually he'll get it and figure it out. Sometimes with Labs, and especially mine, it's nature for them to do this while they're playing, but it sounds like to me that if you're playing a chasing game with him, then maybe it's a good idea to teach him the "no bite" rule. Unlike other breeds, Labs can be agressive when they play and sometimes they can take it too far, but they can be taught to not bite or not to bite too hard when they do play.

Lucky's this same way when we wrestle in the back yard and he chases after me. When he catches me, he jumps up on me and teeth drawn. To him, it's a natural reflex that he can't control because of the breed he is, and he's a Yellow Lab mix, and to him, he was never taught to know better and to know that biting was wrong, so that's what I've taught him, so now when we're in the backyard and I throw him to the ground when we're playing and we wrestle and he chases after me, he'll draw teeth, but he won't bite.

The other person who gave you the advice about the playing, that's what it sounds like with the high pitch bark, is that he wants to play, and if you don't want to play at that time, then you need to tell him no and give a command, along with a treat. I've had Lucky since July 2 and he's the best thing I've had since I've had a dog. He's already put Sass, my Border Collie to shame. He lays on the bed with me, will jump up on my lap with his front legs and stay there, and when we do play, he will jump up on me and almost knock me over. I can't ask for nothing more. I got the perfect dog!

Garth is offline Registered Users

Are you seriously teaching me how to play fetch with my dog? We had that game mastered within the first couple weeks. This is just one of many games I have played with the dogs I have had over the years. He is one of the smartest dogs I've ever seen, and has learned so many games and tricks in his 7 months I can't believe it.
    Well pardon me for not being a mind reader. It's just that going on the background info in your OP, there was no mention of your outstanding dog ownership credentials. The impression one gets (well that I got) was that this is only your 2nd dog & you were looking for advice on how to deal with your problem. Clearly I was wrong & you're obviously a highly experienced owner who knows EVERYTHING (except in this case it would seem).

You asked the question:
    and I gave you my answer as to why I think not. Other people will no doubt have other opinions based on their own experiences but I guess they'll only be accused of treating you like an idiot too. It's pretty obvious. If the dog is engaging in unacceptable behaviour, you either cease whatever was causing it - in your case running from the dog OR you give the dog correctional training. What are you going to do when a kid runs from the dog & gets bitten? but then what would I know?.

For the record, I've owned multiple breeds of dogs for the last 43 years. I've been involved in breeding, showing & obedience. When I add up the grand total of all my dogs ages X the number of dogs I've ever owned, it adds up to around 450 years. There hasn't been a day in my life since I was 5 yo that I haven't had at least one dog around me so obviously I haven't learnt much in that time aye?. :embarrass:

(Goes running off to his dog books to do more studying) :educated:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast