6mo and still does not come when called

Thread: 6mo and still does not come when called

3Putt is offline Junior Member

Default6mo and still does not come when called

Stubborn...Stubborn...Stubborn!

Does good with most commands but when it come to "come" i get out right refusals.

Heaven forbid she gets out of the house, because i will spend the next 30 min trying to chase her through the neighborhood.

What training exercises do in need to be concentrating on?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 6mo and still does not come when called

never ever use a command you cannot enforce. When you say "come" and she doesn't, she learns not to listen. Only use the recall word when you know there is either no distraction and she will come for sure, or she is on a long line. Every time you use the recall word (come or whatever) and she does not listen, you put back your training a few sessions (days or weeks). The more often you say "come, I said COME" the more she learns not to listen until the second or third come. Or just that she can get away wtih not coming.

The recall is one of the hardest command to teach. At 6mts it really is no surprsie she isn't reliable, I would have been very surprised if she were!

Practice Practice Practice. Start with the easy stuff, recall with a short line with no distractions. take baby steps.

Most importantly, remember dogs do not generalize. A reliable recall in the house or the back yard DOES NOT MEAN it will be reliable at the dog park or in a field. Or with another dog. Or another person. Every little element that changes (new person, new smell, new sound, new place) adds distraction and makes teh recall more difficult.

For actual steps on training, see Our Best Advice thread (stickyed at the top) - reply 1 by dweck
    https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...ic,1694.0.html
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Also, get, read, and follow the protocols in Jean Donaldson's "Culture Clash" -- about $12 + S&H from Amazon, used copies cheaper.

(I said "get, read, and follow..." remembering what a friend of mine used to say about his 4 sure rules for playing winning bridge:

"Get a book on bridge.

Read the book on bridge.

Do what the book says.

Get some Aces and Kings."

Except for the Aces & Kings, I figure it applies as well to training Labs.)

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

As Tanya said, if you can't inforce the COME command it's useless.

Tie your puppy to a long line and practice recall in the yard. If she doesn't come on her own drag her to you and praise HIGHLY. Or if you don't want to use a long line only ever call your puppy when you have a very HIGH VALUE TREAT. Pigs Ear or a Marrow Bone, boiled chicken bits... something extra special that the dog will REALLY WANT.

Milly is 8 months old and good with recall but we still have to work on it!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Bauer is almost 7 months old, and we have worked on recall since we brought him home. He is pretty good in most situations, but his one downfall is a new dog in very close proximity. I started with a 6 foot lead, and would put a piece of kibble on the ground close to him. While he was looking for it, I would walk to the end of the lead and place another piece of kibble on the ground, and say, "come". If he didn't come right away, I would start to reel him him. We would go back and forth like that for a few minutes. It didn't take him very long that he understood that come meant something good. We started practicing off-lead, and always with lots of praise.

Eventually, I would let him off-lead after returning from a walk and practice recall down the road (I live on a private road, so it was very safe). We also practiced a lot while my son had baseball practice, which was great because there were a lot of distractions. The other day we were walking down the private road, and a rabbit took off across my neighbor's yard and of course Bauer took off after it. I said, "Bauer, come." and he turned on a dime and came right back to me. My neighbor was astonished! He said, "It's not fair that you have a dog that comes to you."

It was a lot of work, but basically we practiced the 100/100 rule. 100 times on leash in a specific location, and then 100 times off leash in the same location.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Another thing, make sure that everytime she comes she is met with praise. If she refuses to come, and then you get frustrated, when she finally does come to you there probably isn't much fun. The dog starts to think, "Why come? That's no fun!" If I do tell Bauer to come, and he doesn't . . . that's it. I don't say, "come" again. I turn and run the opposite direction making a lot of high-pitched noise. Sure, people think I am nuts , but it works everytime! When we are in a questionable recall situation and I am not sure if he will come or not, I will give the command followed with, "bop, bop, bop" in a very high pitched voice. This always gets his attention.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

See "Our BEst Advice" uptop. Excellent primer on 'come' command.