How do you housebreak when...

Thread: How do you housebreak when...

TheLimpShrimp is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow do you housebreak when...

I am wondering, of those of you who have taken your pup into your bed from very early, how you house-trained: very young pups need a potty visit mid-way thru the night, and I would think they would make a mess in your bedroom.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MooseDog is offline Member

DefaultRe: How do you housebreak when...

Our 14 week old puppy has been sleeping in the bed with us for about 2 weeks now. We waited until he was sleeping through the night with no accidents in his crate, and this was around 9 or 10 weeks. He started sleeping in the bed sort of by accident because we took him camping in a camper for a weekend and there wasn't a lot of room in it for his crate, so we brought him in bed with us about halfway through the night...and he's been in the big bed at home ever since. He actually does better in the bed, because he wakes us up in the morning with kisses instead of whining/barking from his crate. I definitely wouldn't recommend any sleeping in the bed until you're pretty positive they'll sleep through the night though! We're taking a risk, but it's worth it to have a cuddly puppy in your bed
    Moose

Scoper50 is offline Senior Member

I had Odie locked up in the crate at night for about a month. 12 weeks old to 16 weeks old. He never once had an accident during the night. On the other hand I was woken up in the middle of the night by whimpering because he had to go potty. Instinctly most dogs wont eliminate where they sleep if they can avoid it.

After a month of crating at night he figured out on his own how to jump up on my bed. One night I was in the bathroom getting ready for bed and when I came back to the bedroom, there he was. Up on the bed looking comfortable. So I just decided to let him be. After all, he had been making it through the night without a bathroom break for a week or so. He continued this habit every night since. He only has had one accident since. Keep in mind he is almost 9 months old now.

The one accident he did have, he went potty on the area rug in my bedroom. I suppose he instinctively didn't want to pee where he slept (the bed) So he jumped down on the floor and went. Luckily I caught him in the act. I actually woke up to the sound of the urine hitting the floor, and I yelled "NO!" I stopped him mid stream, and I think I scared him because he ran into the corner inbetween the bed and the wall and hid. He actually made a mess there also.

But ever since that night it's been smooth sailing. I had the crate set up in the bedroom, and sometimes he would choose to sleep in it, and other times he would choose the bed. The crate I had set up in the bedroom started to get small and cramped for him on account that he's growing, so last weekend I bought him a big dog bed. He's slept on that for the past two nights now and loves it.

I actually want to encourage him to sleep in his own bed rather than mine at this point. He's a total bed hog, and insists on sleeping right on me. He's like a space heater, and at times makes me very uncomfortable during the night.

I sort of got off topic there. I'll quit rambling. Thats my two cents.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

We're taking a risk, but it's worth it to have a cuddly puppy in your bed
    I bet it's great to have a cuddly little puppy in bed with you - will you still be ok with Moose in your bed when he's 30kgs? Milly is 20kgs at the moment and sleeps in her crate only... she's allowed up on the bed when I tell her and it's usually for a weekend 5 minute snuggle and after 5 minutes I've had enough. She's hot and heavy and steps on you or lays on you and sometimes it's on bits that hurt! She can't lay down the end for long without quietly creeping up to the middle again so no bed sleeping for her!

If it was me living alone I'd have her on the bed, at least she'd have a whole side to herself! When Dave is away she sleeps up with me but she usually gets very restless and hops down to her crate in the middle of the night anyway. Her crate is her haven and it works well for us.

Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

My 75# lab sleeps in our bed and he curls up at the foot of the bed and we hardly knows he's there. Except when he decides he wants to snuggle around 4:30 am
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

MooseDog is offline Member

When I was a young girl, I shared my twin sized bed with my 120lb Rottweiler....so a full size lab on the bed is nothing to me
    Moose

sammysam21 is offline Senior Member

We have had Cooper in bed with us since around the 12 week age. We were on vacation & he broke out of our travel crate so we would put him in bed with us. When we got home from vacation, we were used to having him in bed with us so that is where he sleeps at night. We also have a 85 pound yellow lab that sleeps with us. Cooper is around 55-60 pounds now. The only time we have problems are when one of them starts dreaming & the feet start running. That usually starts a growling war but one word from us & the stop. Our main problem is when Cooper wants to wake up on the weekends at 5:30 in the morning & play. Other than that its nice to have a cuddle buddy in bed.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Our adults can sleep on the bed if they want, but the pups are crated. There are times I would love to cuddle up with one of the boys in bed, but they won't stand for it.

TheLimpShrimp is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Most of this I was pretty sure about but I guess I wondered if anyone had any secrets or tips.
    I would like my pup to sleep with me, but I'm not sure whether it will work out. We will see.