BARKING AT EVERY DOG THEY SEE

Thread: BARKING AT EVERY DOG THEY SEE

luvmylabz is offline Junior Member

DefaultBARKING AT EVERY DOG THEY SEE

hi guys, my 2 labs barnie and rockie (7 yo, yellow - 3 yo choc) bark at EVERY OTHER DOG THEY SEE.

when they are on a walk, or in the car, or in the house - if they see another dog - it's like all [email protected]#$ breaks loose.

but at the park, or when i take them to get groomed - around a lot of other dogs -they don't. and if i take them to play with another dog - they don't. and they are NEVER agressive with dogs or people.

what is the barking about and how can i get it to stop! in my house it's not that big of a deal as my streeet is pretty quiet...but in the car it's BRUTAL, and of course it makes walks pretty unpleasant.

thoughts?

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: BARKING AT EVERY DOG THEY SEE

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabz
    hi guys, my 2 labs barnie and rockie (7 yo, yellow - 3 yo choc) bark at EVERY OTHER DOG THEY SEE.

when they are on a walk, or in the car, or in the house - if they see another dog - it's like all [email protected]#$ breaks loose.

but at the park, or when i take them to get groomed - around a lot of other dogs -they don't. and if i take them to play with another dog - they don't. and they are NEVER agressive with dogs or people.

what is the barking about and how can i get it to stop! in my house it's not that big of a deal as my streeet is pretty quiet...but in the car it's BRUTAL, and of course it makes walks pretty unpleasant.

thoughts?

thanks!
    Sounds like territorial behavior to me. Often dogs are more aggressive on a leash and the house and car guarding behavior seems logical. Does one instigate and the other follows?

I don't have an answer for you as I have a pair of very vocal dogs I have trouble keeping quiet as well - my shepherd instigates and the lab is the follower. On his own he is very quiet!
    Sharon

YellowLabProject is offline Senior Member

All it is reinforced behavior. It is not so easy to extinguish, but w/ training and consistency it can be resolved. You are going to actually do two things, put the barking on cue and reward it and give them another cue to be silent. You will train this w/ opposite opposing cues.

Barking in the house at moving things is self-reinforcing. When they bark at things outside the whatever is moving creating arousal in the dogs, then when the object leaves they quit barking. So they see an object it is moving, they bark the object goes away. I bark and I make things go away.

When they are at the dog park they are having fun and exercising, their focus is now redirected.

The training method might seem hard to train or counter intuitive, I would recommend you higher a clicker trainer and have them teach you how to introduce these things and then you can use these methods on your own.

HTH,

Doug
    KPCT
    www.ecboardco.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I'd work on teaching them alternate behaviours. You'll need to work with them seperately at first. Choose the one that is first to react to begin with. Ask a friend with a dog to help you out. Start with a dog at their threshold point - if they don't react if a dog is 50 feet away, that's their threshold point. Ask them to sit and stay as the dog is 49-50 feet back, and reward reward reward calm behaviour. Once the dog is solid at 49 feet, have the dog move 5 feet closer. Etc. Once your dog is able to stay calm as the other dog approaches, passes and moves away, start work on your other dog. When he is able to stay calm, start at the 50 foot point again with BOTH dogs. Once you've worked through this on leash, start again in the car with one dog, then the other, then both. (obviously, you're not driving - you're working with the dogs as someone approaches and passes your parked car)

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Last year I helped rescue a 4 year old black Lab. The people that were surrendering her were so pathetic the dog didn't have a leash, so she never got any exercise. The only command she knew was sit. I took her out to the vet to get all of her shots prior to being spade. She barked at EVERYTHING! On the way out I would redirect her. When it looked like she was going to start I would call her over and I gave her a little piece of Oona's dog food and then praise her. By the time I got back into town she had stopped doing it.
    Olie

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

i do a watch me when other dogs are approaching and treat him when he sits and looks at me...it saves the lunging and pulling and excitement and dogs passing are pleasant experience for them