Barking Foster

Thread: Barking Foster

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultBarking Foster

My foster, a Chow mix, is a barker. And I live in an apt. Now I have a VERY VERY understanding upstairs neighbour but I can't with good conscious let this go on. Chip came to me on Sunday.

The issue is when I leave (when I am home I can easily control the barking). I crate him, and he goes is easily enough. I never make a big deal of leaving.
    - He gets a kong AND his meal in the crate (as in, I spill his food in his cage before putting him inside and leaving for work.
    - I leave the TV on.
    - Rocky is in the same room, unrated
    - When I return I say nothing and do not let him out right away. I wait until he settles down and is quiet for a minute before letting him out (again, not making a big deal of it, and I do not address him as he barks)

When I close the door (as I leave) he starts barking. Loud full out barks. I still do not know how long he goes on for (as I do not have a recording devise).

Now I HAVE to bring him on my morning run because it's 5:30 am and I cannot have him barking that early.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Barking Foster

Some dogs are very vocal and free with their barking, some aren't. While I'm sure there's a way to diminish the amount of barking by using positive reinforcements, that probably would be a very long road and not 100% effective.

The only thing I can think of for your situation is an anti-bark collar, see

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_search_results.html

Some of these use a citronella spray, some an ultrasonic whistle.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Is it a varikennel or a wire kennel? Tristan barked in a wire crate, but was quiet in a varikennel.. if you can, try making it dark with a blanket over it, or switch types of crate.

Is he destructive? Any way you could babygate him into a dog-proof room?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I will try to cover his crate more (it's metal).

I am fairly certain he isn't destructive, but I live in a 1 bedroom and there isn't a section to babygate. I don't feel ready to leave him loose - sure he's fine when I am around but when he's mad at being left alone is another story.

I will try a short time alone uncrated. I'm not sure that will stop the barking, the barking is directly linked to my leaving not the crate. THis would go with what BobPr says I guess.

As it's a foster and we're still working on trust I can't do the collar just yet. I would probably request a foster switch before I did that. Or if he ends up with me for more than a month I'll go that route!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

brody is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    Is it a varikennel or a wire kennel? Tristan barked in a wire crate, but was quiet in a varikennel.. if you can, try making it dark with a blanket over it, or switch types of crate.

Is he destructive? Any way you could babygate him into a dog-proof room?
    Tanya I -I think you have nailed the reason he's barking - he's insecure when you leave

I'm betting he settles pretty quickly to enjoy the kong/bones/treats but he needs to tell you that he isn't happy you are leaving

give him a well covered den as Kaytris suggests - it'll muffle the noise a little if nothing else

and rehearse crating him and rewarding him for not barking - leave a little gap at the top so you can rain "manna from heaven" on his little head without him super associating it with you

work up to wlaking out the apartment and coming right back in to reward

then standing in the apartment hall for 1-2-5 minutes

even just once every other day will help - slowly usually just so you are warned

and be careful when you place him that the people are prepared to deal with this symptom of anxiety kindly or it could escalate into full blown anxiety

hang in there and have fun learning from this dude too
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

MooseDog is offline Member

We had the same problem with our puppy. My boyfriend leaves early for work and would put Moose in his kennel while I TRIED to sleep a little longer. Once my boyfriend left, Moose would start whining and barking. We're also in an apartment building, so I know how hard it is. Moose's kennel has a blanket over it, so I was able to sneak up behind him and stick the nozzle of a squirt bottle between the wires of his kennel. When he'd bark, I'd spray him. He didn't know I was there, but he didn't like getting squirted from this mysterious squirt bottle, so he'd eventually be quiet. It also helps to leave the apartment for 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc. but keep it varied. He'll eventually realize that you WILL come back and hopefully won't bark. We also bought a Kong for Moose and filled it with a few treats and some peanut butter. When we get home, the Kong is licked clean and he's sleeping.
    Moose