Please Help-I've got a Fence Jumper!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help-I've got a Fence Jumper!

Stiffaknee is offline Junior Member

DefaultPlease Help-I've got a Fence Jumper!

Or more like a Fence-Climber...

but regardless, My Greta seems hell bent on getting out of my fenced in back yard. It started pretty innocently, she would climb the fence into the neighbors back yard (mind you, they do not have any dogs) just to go visit. I didnt care much for her doing so, but at least she was safe! Now, she has begun to venture out further, climbing the fence and roaming the neighborhood!

Getting a new fence is not exactly an option (our current fence is approx 5 ft high) as right now its not in the budget. She stays inside for the most part, she's only outside when she is doing her business. (She actually scales the fence and takes off, while I'm watching).

I was considering possibly an electric fence or something of that nature, but if I did that, I don't even know where to begin! Does anyone have any recommendations for types of electric fence, brands, etc., or even an idea of how to keep her from wanting to get out?

Thanks in advance!
    The disposition of noble dogs is to be gentle with people they know and opposite with those they don't know.  How then can a dog be anything other than a lover of learning, since it defines what is its own and what is alien-Plato

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Please Help-I've got a Fence Jumper!

What kind of fence do you have now that she can climb?

If it were me, I would take her out on a lead and and walk the perimeter of the fence everyday. I wouldn't let her out unleashed until she learned that she needs to stay. Even for pee and poop, use the leash.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

You'll need to either add on to the top of your existing fence or run an electric fence (as for cattle) around the inside, or use an invisible fence. If you google invisible dog fence you'll get many references and prices.

Once your Lab has learned how to escape and see the world, you need to do something soon to reverse that pattern.

But first, how old is your Greta? How much exercise does she get a day and what kind? It sounds to me as if she could well be bored out of wits. When they don't get it, they often become Greta the Explorer outside or the dedicated chewer of wires, wall trim, chairs, or wallboard, etc., inside.

Many (most?) Labs between 1-8 years old will need 30-60 minutes of vigorous daily exercise.

That does not mean leashed walks around the neighborhood. It means fetching, running off leash, swimming, etc.

Given that, they're usually quite content to snooze on ready alert until they hear car keys jingle, the refrigerator door open, etc.

45 minutes of daily of vigorous offleash walking for you and retrieving for her could be very beneficial for the health of both of you and far cheaper than installing an electric fence.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jcookie0723 is offline Junior Member

I agree with JZgrlduff- I think that is a good solution as opposed to getting an electric fence. (Not a huge fan of them and sometimes they do not even work- some dogs, if they want it bad enough, will escape with out even a flinch.)

But I also agree with BOB Pr. on the exercise thing- more exercise and maybe some vary in her routine (go to the park for a walk instead of around the neighborhood, or try the dog park. Give her some new experiences!) may be the trick!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Greta is about 3.5 as per the OP's first post back in May (when she was having problems as Greta was destroying the house).

what kind (and how much) exercise is your girl getting? Physical and mental?

To be honest it sounds like she is under exercised (both mentally and physically) and just keeping busy anyway she can. As the other posters above explained. Labs are working dogs, and many need a "job" to keep their brain active (treats such as a frozen kong, hide and seek, agility, regular obedience...) and plenty of physical exercise.

Also, if she's jumping it's quite unsafe to leave her outside if you are not around (not saying that you do, but just in case)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Put chicken wire down flat all the way around the perimeter of the fence. Dogs don't like the feel of it on their feet.
    Olie

Dani is offline Senior Member

I'd say the OP is probably leaving her out there for long periods of time and Greta is just trying to do something more fun. Exercise your dog, train your dog, and don't leave her outside unsupervised. Crate her inside while you're gone and the problem is erased. But you need to exercise her mind and her body too.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Tanya said
    Greta is about 3.5 as per the OP's first post back in May (when she was having problems as Greta was destroying the house).
    Smart, very helpful sleuthing, Tanya! You've nailed it!!

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":

riarcher is offline Member

Climbing, not jumpig the fence?
    Electric fence at the top and just inside the existing fence would do fine.
    It would only Probably) be needed for short term.
    Then sell and get back some of your investment.
    May be able to attatch with PVC elbows on the existing stakes to make it look good?
    Relatively inexpensive & effective.

This is from the first of only 2 posts made by stiffaknee (thanks, Tanya):

I need some help or advice for my darling daughter's behavior when she is home alone (I work 8-5, so she spends quite a bit of time by herself..We do come home for lunch, and also utilize doggie day care, but its still necessary to leave her by herself sometimes)
    Background: My daughter is a 3 1/2 year old chocolate lab who, in every sense of the word is "Gifted". I buy her new toys (you know, to help keep her stimulated), keep her kong balls stuffed, leave doggie dvds on repeat for her-everything I can think of to keep her distracted from my absense.
    I was keeping her in a crate, but she barked, howled, and eventually learned to get out (it was a metal collapsing crate, and she began somehow pulling down the collapsible wall and getting out).
    I started leaving her out to roam the house-until she chewed the wood molding around door frames, shoe molding, my couch (she completely gutted) digging the floor until she wore holes in the hardwood and destroyed the carpet, and getting into very expensive mischief.
    I don't know what else to do! We cant keep her outside (she actually climbs the fence), and I am thinking about leaving her in the basement (where it's cool) but don't know how to contain her! Any ideas? (I thought about one of those chain link kennels and just putting it inside, but they're quite expensive!)....
    C'mon, Lab people!!

The answer does NOT lie in better fence barriers, electric fences, electric collars, chicken wire moats, or whatever.

This Lab is CRYING for stimulation, exercise, and training -- or rehoming.

Few Labs are couch potatoes.

MOST Labs REQUIRE daily vigorous exercise and stimulation to be docile and laid back.

Labs are high energy dogs and the mismatch of Labs with people who don't grasp this and who do not or cannot adapt their schedule and activities to supply this need is probably the #1 reason for the failure of Lab placements (and is unfortunately quite common).

IF adult Labs are given 30-50 minutes a day of vigorous activity (depending on the particular Lab and activity) -- typically fetching, swimming, off leash running, etc. -- they can be very placid the rest of the day.

BUT without that, they can be constant problems, and if one outlet for release from their boredom is taken away, they will soon find another.

If stiffaknee's username reflects a bum knee, there are many outlets that do not require the owner to do a lot of walking. Slinging a training dummy or Chuck-it ball is an example. Doing that into a pond so the Lab must swim is even better. Finding neighbors with fenced yards and compatible playful dogs so they can have a daily hour of vigorous play might be another. Paying a 9-17 yr. old neighbor kid to take Greta out for an hour of daily retrieving is another.

But daily vigorous exercise (preferrably with some training for mental stimulation) is almost always an imperative for a comfortable, safe Lab placement. I see no reason that Greta should be an exception to this.

"A Tired Lab is a Good Lab" -- Socrates

"A Bored Lab that is not Tired is a Royal P.I.T.A" --
    Confucius

"A Dozing Lab Rarely Causes Problems" -- Bhagavad
    Gita

"A Lab sufficiently exercised has partaken of Nature's own
    Prozac and Valium" -- Hippocrates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast