Puppy will not give it up!!!

Thread: Puppy will not give it up!!!

Kaysha912 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy will not give it up!!!

Morgan is only 10 weeks old. We are trying to teach her to retrieve, but the problem is...we throw a ball or toy and she will go get it and run back, but then she will not give it to us! When we try to take the item from her mouth she holds onto it for dear life and growls at us...she behaves very aggressively. I say "drop it" many times, but she will not give it up!! How can I stop this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy will not give it up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaysha912
    Morgan is only 10 weeks old. We are trying to teach her to retrieve, but the problem is...we throw a ball or toy and she will go get it and run back, but then she will not give it to us! When we try to take the item from her mouth she holds onto it for dear life and growls at us...she behaves very aggressively. I say "drop it" many times, but she will not give it up!! How can I stop this?
    When you say "behaves aggressively" what exactly do you mean? Growling is an integral part of play for dogs and puppies. If it is just the growlling that you are interpreting as aggression - you are misunderstanding your dog.

She is likely trying to instigate a game where you chase her and she keeps the object from you. I always ignore when this goes on. The dog does not get the "payoff" of getting you to chase. They are more likely to bring the ball back so it will be re-thrown.

You can of course do an exchange - she gives you the ball - you give her a treat. Most dogs, once they really get into retreiving, willingly give back the ball so you'll throw it again.

Sharon

Kaysha912 is offline Junior Member

Thanks so much for your reply.
    When I say she is aggressive, I am just referring to her growling and excessive will to play tug of war. Maybe aggressive wasn't the right word. But she holds on so tightly to the object in her mouth, that I can pick her up by holding my end of the toy.
    I will try the treat for giving up the toy exchange, that's a great idea...thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_GoodDog is offline Junior Member

In addition to the other advise, I think it’s too early to expect a 10 week old to retrieve. Keep the games fun and don't expect much retrieving until she matures. All pups develop at different speeds, I remember playing ball with one of my dogs when she was a pup. she would chase it and return without the ball. This went on a few months until one day a light went off in her brain and she has been a retrieving machine since.
    enjoy your pup.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

She doesn't know the object of your strange human game -- you'll need to teach her.

I suggest you use a few kibbles from her next (premeasured meal) to exchange for the thrown object. That's a way of saying, "good girl! Here's something for bringing it back." Reaching for the kibbles in your hand makes her release the object she's holding.

But, at this very young age, be sure to keep it fun and not work -- only a few times and quit BEFORE she loses interest. (E.g., if she loses interest after 5X, you quit after 3 or 4X next time.)

Also, be sure to vary the location in which you play this fetching game. Puppies and dogs don't generalize like humans do and that which they learn to play in one place doesn't often transfer to another.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

jcookie0723 is offline Junior Member

I agree with the others- she is still a bit young to be doing an intense training session! You should enjoy her at this age! Although I do think it is never too early to be training!
    That being said, I think you need to teach "drop it". You can't just say it and expect her to know it! It's taight pretty much how other said- you kind of exchange the toy or ball for a treat. Just make sure you do not give her the treat until the object hit's the ground.

Scoper50 is offline Senior Member

Teaching "Drop it" was pretty easy for me. Instead of using dog food, I used high value treats like small pieces of string cheese, and small bits of apple. Personally, my dogs attention span is very small when training with dog food. But when I use "people food" he's very motavated to learn.

I would throw the ball down a hallway in the house, so the dog wouldn't have any choice but to bring it directly back to me. Then I would present the treat and say drop it. The dog would naturally and gladly drop the ball to get the food.

I practiced this for 5-10 minutes a day. I don't know about your dog, but when there are treats involved he doesn't get bored with any game. The only reason I limited the training time is because I didn't want to end up feeding him a pound of cheese on top of his regular meals.