How to teach "off"?

Thread: How to teach "off"?

jcookie0723 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHow to teach "off"?

Every time he jumps on the furniture, jumps up on the table, jumps up on one of us, I say "off". But how do I teach "off"? Or is it just one of those things they learn through repetition?

The only thing I can think of is putting him on the couch and then luring him off with a treat and saying the command and praise/treat once he is down. Will that work or is that a bit counter intuitive?

Oh and I looked for advice in the "Our Best Advice" thread but couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Scoper50 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How to teach "off"?

I'm no dog training expert, but I did teach my dog the "off" command. I wouldn't put him up on the couch purposely for this. If you don't want him on the furniture, I believe that is counter productive.

Whenever I would catch odie on something he wasn't sopposed to be on, I'd, pat the ground while saying "off" The hand signal naturally lured him to the floor. After about two months of that, I changed the hand signal to just pointing on the floor. I don't know why, but I did this and it worked.

I think your tone of voice is more important than hand gesters or verbal commands. If he can sense that you are unhappy with what he's doing, he'll be pretty quick to correct the situation.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

My Macy is a huge counter surfer. Whenever I caught her with her front paws on the counter, I took her paws and put them back on the floor and said firmly "OFF!". Then I praised "GOOD OFF!!!!!!" and gave her a cookie. She learned it in minutes.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowLabProject is offline Senior Member

Do you ever want your dog on the couch? This is a learned behavior, it has been and probably still being reinforced and so he will keep doing it. If you want to train him, you have to decide whether he is allowed up when you invite him or never and do not waiver, you will only confuse him. This will then become a source of frustration for you and he will not understand you when you start feeling this way. Once you let me know this I can suggest a training plan.

Doug
    KPCT
    www.ecboardco.com

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    My Macy is a huge counter surfer. Whenever I caught her with her front paws on the counter, I took her paws and put them back on the floor and said firmly "OFF!". Then I praised "GOOD OFF!!!!!!" and gave her a cookie. She learned it in minutes.
    That's how we did it with Aries and Tundra, worked great!