What do you do when?

Thread: What do you do when?

MissZoesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat do you do when?

Your dog prefers jumping at other living creature more than any treat in the world? Star jumps at other dogs, people, she nearly tore my shoulder out of socket going after a cat I didn't see hiding in the bushes, insects flying around, birds in the sky, it is nearly impossible to enjoy a walk with her with all the jumping and lunging going on. As long as it is just the two of us with no distatractions everything goes beautifully, but add a distraction and look out. I have tried to use treats to distract her, hot dogs, dog food, lunch meat, cheese, you name it, and nothing on earth is more important to her than the jumping. The only thing she really seems to love are red wasps, and I'd rather not carry a pocket full of those, LOL. I have been using a flat nylon collar and am begining to think I need to switch to some sort of training device. I own a halti but she really HATES it. Does anyone have any advice on what sort of training collar would be good. I am afraid I am at a loss.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

How old is Star?
    Some people on here will agree, some will disagree but.....Java was lunging after people and other dogs when we would go for walks also. She was hard to control as she is 65lbs or so (8 months old) and I am 100 lbs and the walks were getting less and less enjoyable, so ...I went and had her fitted properly for a pinch/prong collar. Bingo-it worked. I noticed a big difference the first time we went for a walk. It certainly discouraged her urge to pull and yank and lunge. It's not a replacement for training her to behave by any means...I use it in conjunction with teaching her manners, but it has helped tremendously.
    Like I said...I know some people on her are very against them, but used properly they do work and they are not torture devices by any means.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Get and use a Gentle Leader "Easy Walk"

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

second the easy walk suggestion, as well as training via premack principle (AKA 'grandma's rule - eat your broccoli and you'll get dessert'). So what Star really really wants is to say hello to people/other dogs, right?

Set up training situations - have a friend with or w/o a dog start about 100 feet away, Star is on leash. Ask her to sit, and as she is sitting, your friend approaches. As long as start holds her sit, friend continues approaching. If she breaks, your friend abruptly turns around and returns to the 'start line'. You're teaching her self control and that her behaviour controls the access to reward. You can also practice this with random people passing by, but you'll have to be quick to prevent access if she misbehaves - guarantee that people will try to sabotage with "oh it's okay, I don't mind her jumping" but you'll need 100% consistency to progress quickly. Have her sit as a stranger approaches - if she breaks the sit, you will have to move away - up onto a lawn, or just keep moving past them. Shopping mall entrances are also good places to practice this.

MissZoesMom is offline Senior Member

Star is about 7 months old. She does this to people and other dogs because she wants so badly to greet them. (When it comes to the birds and bugs I am afraid she is on a seek and destory mission, LOL, but I have never seen her aggressive with people or dogs) I will try the Easy Walk before I try the pinch collar, but thank you all for the suggestions. It has been getting harder and harder to walk her effectively.

scutter is offline Senior Member

Defaultprong collar

I have used a prong collar on two dogs, I have now had 3 labs and with each one a gain more knowledge and experience. I agree that along with the prong or gentle lead you have to incorporate training.

The prong has worked for me and I have seen many others use it as well. Help me understand why the prong collar is not a good choice. agreeing that training is also a must along with any type of collar.

Thanks

Scutter

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I would also like to understand why so many people here don't agree with using a prong collar. When used properly it is not harming the dog. I don't rely soley on the prong collar, I stress training much more, but it is a tool. I have mentioned using a prong collar on this site before and many people reacted very strongly (and negatively) to the suggestion.
    Why is that???

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

I agree with Katris' training scenario. I used similar strategy with Jeb and, although he's not perfect, he is much, much better. I also let him know it's MY decision as to whom he can meet and greet. Sometimes I don't let him meet just to reinforce that. Be consistent and persistent.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC