Small snag in Rosie's house training, help help please!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small snag in Rosie's house training, help help please!

Marmot is offline Member

DefaultSmall snag in Rosie's house training, help help please!

Rosie has been doing fairly well house breaking, we walk her every 2 hours, and we tell her what a good girl she is and pet her profusely while and after she eliminates outside. The snag is that she likes to urinate on her dog bed, I have washed and dried it everyday, only for her to repeat the process. I tried spraying it with Bitter Barrier and that didn't help, does anyone have any other suggestions to break her of this? Or should just take away the bed until she's older?
    Last edited by Marmot; 08-31-2009 at 08:28 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I tried spraying it with Bitter Barrier and that didn't help, does anyone have any other suggestions to break her of this?
    Is that like Bitter Apple, to make a bad taste when chewing something? If so, I don't think that would stop the peeing.

Despite the washing, because of the repeated peeing, I suspect some lingering odor that she can smell but you can't is remaining on the bed.

That kind of odor continually broadcasts to the puppy "here's a great place to pee, pee here!" I suggest the next time it happens, after washing it, you pour some OTC 3% Hydrogen Peroxide over the spot to destroy the odor. But come to think of it, since she's repeatedly doing this, there must be many spots broadcasting to her.

It'd probably be better to buy a couple Large bottles of H2O2 and really thoroughly wet the whole bed, both sides. After letting the H2O2 work for an hour or so, THEN thoroughly wash and dry the bed.

Please let us know the results.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Marmot is offline Member

Thank you and yes I will let you know.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Marmot is offline Member

DefaultSorry Bob Pr. it didn't work

she did it again. I used 3 pint bottles of 3%, soaked it and dunked it til it was soaked, let it set for an hour, didn't rinse it, put it in the washing machine, spin cycle only to get out the excess moisture, then I let it air dry in the sun. Brought it in and put it down and she peed on it within 5 minutes so, I give up on a bed for now. I do, very much appreciate your reply to my post...thank you!

she did it again. I used 3 pint bottles of 3%, soaked it and dunked it til it was soaked, let it set for an hour, didn't rinse it, put it in the washing machine, spin cycle only to get out the excess moisture, then I let it air dry in the sun. Brought it in and put it down and she peed on it within 5 minutes so, I give up on a bed for now. I do, very much appreciate your reply to my post...thank you!
    Great! Thank you.

You've just eliminated the most likely, prominent cue for your pup -- the olfactory/odor cue.

The next most likely, prominent sense is the visual cue.

I hope you still have the old peed-upon dog bed?

If so, take it outside and place it where you'd like Rose to pee.

When it seems a likely time for Rosie to wee-wee, take her out to that often peed-upon dog bed and let her pee there.

I think (95% positive) that will help her make the transition.

BUT IF it doesn't, there's something extemely important and fascinating going on that I'd sure like to hear about.

OOPS! DUH!! There's one remaining very common possibility and that's that Rosie has a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection).

If ANY peeing occurs on the new, not previously peed upon bed, I think the probability is 99.99999% that a UTI is causing this and you need to see your vet.

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":

Marmot is offline Member

No I still have the bed.

She doesn't have an issue about going outside, she is walked every 2-3 hours, and 15 minutes after her meals. She had one accident in the crate, and I cleaned it with 3% hp, and she hasn't done it since. She had only peed on the dog bed numerous times and each time I have cleaned it, the last 2 times I have drenched it in 3% hp. I have taken the bed away and gave her a lap blanket folded up to sleep on in her crate, she is not eliminating on that ... at least not yet. Would you have any other suggestions or could it be that I have a willful furry child on my hands?
    I had her urine and BMs checked at her vet visit and all were clear.

....I have taken the bed away and gave her a lap blanket folded up to sleep on in her crate, she is not eliminating on that ... at least not yet. Would you have any other suggestions or could it be that I have a willful furry child on my hands?....
    I don't think you have a problem of a willful fur-child on your hands. If she peed on the blanket, you might be able to argue for that but, since she hasn't, it's difficult to make a case for that. Since you seem to have ruled out a UTI, pee odor is #1 on my list of probable cause.

Since she hasn't peed on the blanket yet, IF she ever does, soak any pee spot immediately with H2O2 for an hour or two and then wash it.

I suspect that even after you drenched her bed with the H2O2, there still must have been some urine odor broadcasting from the old bed, especially since she's not peed on the lap blanket.

If she's peed on her bed over and over, maybe it's had gallons (quarts?) of dried pee saturating the old bed.

Will it wash in a home clothes washing machine? Or does it need a bigger machine such as found at a laundromat?

Whichever, you might try washing it, say 3X in a row, with adequate detergent each time, to dilute and wash away as much dried pee residue as possible.

Then after the last washing, let it dry out completely.

(It's extremely important to let it dry completely before treating it with the H2O2. Any moisture inside will dilute the H2O2 plus also occupy volume and prevent as much H2O2 from being in contact with the inner fibers as would otherwise occur. You don't want remaining moisture playing musical chairs with your H2O2. Any remaining moisture will reduce the amount and effectiveness of the H2O2.)

When the bed is thoroughly, unquestionably dry after the last wash, THEN resoak the entire bed with the H2O2 and let it dry. Maybe, hopefully, THAT should eliminate pee odor being broadcast to her.

s

Marmot is offline Member

DefaultTo Be totally honest with you...

It would be more cost effective for me to buy a replacement bed. On the other hand I may wait until she is done with house breaking. She continues to surprise us every day with her willingness to learn and her willingness to please us humans, she is one of the best puppies we have ever had, and believe me we have had plenty over the years. I tease my DH about her being more intelligent than the K9 partner he had many years ago. Thank you for your help.

Sounds like she's a great dog.

Marmot is offline Member

DefaultI think we have a keeper :)

She just went to "bed" for the night, she walked into her crate, lied down on her blanket and is now in puppy dreamland. She really is a sweetheart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast