how long to be a good guest?

Thread: how long to be a good guest?

hikingchick is offline Member

Defaulthow long to be a good guest?

How long can it take for a lab to be a good house-guest? Leonidas has been great at home and listens to me just fine. In public he is fine too but for some reason, when he gets to someone else's house he is a total LOON. I know this is normal, but my friends and I have always brought our dogs everywhere with us, but the other night Leonidas was so bad that I had to leave early and bring him home. Seriously over-excited. I tried putting him on a leash clipped to me, crating him, distracting him with a toy or some commands, treats, ect. and he simply can't behave himself anywhere other than our home. He is 5 months old, thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: how long to be a good guest?

If you have a friend who's more tolerant, take him there. Often. The more often you expose him to novel, exciting situations, the less novel and exciting they become.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Trickster is offline Senior Member

My adult Labs still get very excitable when I take them to peoples houses or new indoor places (ie; petstores). I actually took them to a new petstore yesterday, one we have never visited before, and they acted as though they hadn't left the house in years - they were THAT excited. So, rest assure that it is perfectly normal in dogs of all ages.

I'm guessing that your friends are dog friendly as they allow him into their home. Exercise him BEFORE you go, then when you get there, ask your friends if you can set the dog loose for a few minutes. After he gets a few minutes of manic sniffing/exploring/greeting people out of his system, he will settle down much quicker.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hikingchick is offline Member

thanks for the advice everyone. The thing is...this friends house is very dog tolerant. She has two herself and is so patient. He has been there before too. She had a lab herself and knows how it goes, but Leonidas's behavior was THAT bad. Anyway, we will keep trying. At home he is so good but he is VERY easily excited (a lab I know ) Still welcoming suggestions...

sarah is offline Senior Member

Does Leonidas do regular obedience?

We had a very excitable puppy around strangers and other dogs (We still do actually) but once we started regular obedience with strangers and strange dogs Milly has really REALLY improved.

Another thing we do - we have a rug that Milly has to lay on in our loungeroom at home when we are not interacting with her. We take this rug to our friends places that we visit and we make Milly adopt the SAME routine that we do at home at other people's places. We find a bit of normalcy helps keep her a bit more under control.

I am not sure if this will help but good luck with your little guy and keep us updated on his progress.

cheers Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Yes, dogs of any age will be very excited to be at a house they have never (or rarely) go to. My shepherd has been to my SIL's house many times but is still way excited every time she goes there.

One of the last times we went there - she rushed inside (off leash) before I had any opportunity to get her to pee outdoors and - you guessed it - all over my SILs new WHITE Berber rug. (embarrased!) So - make sure you don't set foot in the door until that little bladder is empty!
    Sharon

puppyraiser4geb is offline Junior Member

Guiding Eyes for the Blind puppy raisers do frequent 'puppy sits' which means that we swap puppies to accustom them to different environments where the same rules apply. Whenever we get a puppy, we can depend on about 24 hours of craziness before everyone's order in the pack is established. So this would not seem like unusual behavior for a puppy.