What is classified as stress in a 5 mo old?

Thread: What is classified as stress in a 5 mo old?

mosmama is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat is classified as stress in a 5 mo old?

Sometimes when Limo loses a toy underneath the couch and he can't reach it, he'll whine/whimper. In training class, the trainer says he has self-control issues (because he wants to be on the go) and he'll whine/whimper. She classifies it as "stress". Can someone help me with this one? The trainer also says to ignore him when he does it. Is there a way to correct it? It can be a little annoying, especially in class because everyone seems to look our way. I need to find a way to stop it. She says to put him in a sit, down, etc, but that doesn't last for long. Help!!!
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Any ideas?
    Mo

The Love of My Life

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

If he was mine I would try distracting him. Give him something else to do. Something that has him doing something verses a 'Stay' in any position. Take him away from where the object of desire is. Ideas to try.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Oy, he doesn't have any self control or emotional maturity because he's a 5 month old lab!

That will come with time, just keep working on the exercises with the goal of him learning that "good things come to those who wait."

One of the best ways to work on emotion/impulse control is to have him wait to be released for things. So, teach "wait", and use it all over the place. Make him wait to go out the door on a walk. (Have him sit, open the door, walk out and then release him. You will probably have to re-place him in the sit more than a few times before he "gets" it) Make him wait to be released to go eat. Again, have him sit, tell him "wait" and put his bowl down. If he goes to break before the release ("OK", "all done", whatever you want to use, but keep it consistent!) simply re-place him where he was. Start with a very very short "wait" (few seconds) and slowly build on it.

This will teach him patience and reinforce to him that by controlling his impulses, he'll have access to more rewards.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

^^^ That! My antsy, wild man, not much training under his belt Chocolate - who we rescued at 6 months old gained TONS of self control when we started making him sit/stay for a variety of things. Added bonus is that the dog will start to look to you more for direction.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thanks everyone! He is GREAT about waiting for his food, so I have started that. I guess I'll just have to work on it harder with other things. I want him to stay away from the kitchen counter also when I'm preparing something to eat. I worked on that a little this a.m., too.

Again, thanks everyone! Sometimes I need "reassured" of how long it's been since I raised a chocolate pup
    Mo

The Love of My Life

LIMO