cute tricks for public demos?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cute tricks for public demos?

BJ
    BJ is offline Junior Member

Defaultcute tricks for public demos?

This is my first time asking a question.... I belong to an obedience training club. We do alot of demos for the public that include a dog safety talk for the kids, obedience demos etc. We all take a turn performing a trick if we know one. We always do the same 2 things. Bear waves to the crowd, then takes a bow. does anyone have any other ideas for some cute tricks we could learn that are crowd pleasers? It doesn't have to be anything complicated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: cute tricks for public demos?

What about doing "around" from heel. Or like the Advanced Rally move. Call to Front, finish right. Then you can tell him stand and walk around HIM.

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

Otis "high five"s everyone. Kids LOVE it.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BJ

These are great ideas-thank you! Bear actually does have his RN, so we know all those moves you spoke of. Sounds like kind of a "dance" when you put it that way. After the tricks, we always let the kids come up and pet the dogs. they all want to "shake" or "high 5" him, which he knows, but I discourage that one because he is so tall even when sitting and his nails are long enough to scratch them. I'd feel badly if they left with scratch marks on their arms from him.
    I'm currently trying to teach him to "back up". My end goal is to have him "cha-cha" with me. heel 4 steps forward, then 4 steps back. it's not going very well with the backing up. We've tried doing it against a wall or the couch and he'll do OK but when we go back into the open, he either sits down when I ask him to back up or he goes completely sideways. I just took a clicker class so I'm working with that now.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Retrieve the newspaper. Cool when you get a kid volunteer from the audience to place it first.

Cookie on the nose.

Articles. ALWAYS impressive.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Fire safety drill.. just requires renaming some common behaviours...

Stop

Drop (lay down)

and Roll (rollover)

Kids love that one!

I'm teaching both Soph and Cassie to skateboard... I found a mini skateboard at a dollar store, perfect dog size...

BJ

Oh my gosh... you guys are cracking me up! I love the fire safety drill. And he already knows the commands. How funny is that! My dear boy is 100% Labrador but he doesn't have a strong retrieve drive for the articles. In my recent clicker class, we worked on retrieveing and holding it until the command was given to "drop" or "give". he HATES this and I feel guilty for making him do it. As soon as I say "take it!" even in my happy voice, he looks the other way or puts his head down..hey...maybe that could be a trick. Kinda like the little elf on rudolph who didn't want to be an elf, he wanted to be a dentist. My retriever doesn't want to retrieve, he wants to....... he'll never be a hunting dog but he is great with therapy visits.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

A couple of things Mick did that haven't been mentioned yet are "sneeze" and doing a down/stay with a cookie on each front foot and one in the middle.

BJ

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom
    A couple of things Mick did that haven't been mentioned yet are "sneeze" and doing a down/stay with a cookie on each front foot and one in the middle.
    Holy cow! A friend of mine just taught her 8 month old Lab how to sneeze on command- I would've never thought that one was possible! I'm going to go try the cookie on the paw -stay right now. I can almost see the drool hanging out the sides of his mouth already. thanks!

TN_LAB is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    Fire safety drill.. just requires renaming some common behaviours...

Stop

Drop (lay down)

and Roll (rollover)

Kids love that one!

I'm teaching both Soph and Cassie to skateboard... I found a mini skateboard at a dollar store, perfect dog size...
    Saw this on Dog Whisperer the other day with a group of firemen and their Dalmation. Children at a local school were quite impressed by the dog's stop, drop & roll trick.

The Magician / Easter Egg Hunt / Hide and Seek / trick might be cute. Basically have one of the kids hold the "special" item and then have the dog find which kid holds the item. If you didn't want to have the kids hold the item, you could use cups or flower pots to hide the item instead. Get a kid volunteer to put the item under one of the pots and have the dog find it.

Serpentine Walker / Figure 8. Have the dog run through your legs in a figure 8 fashion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast