I still need training 101

Thread: I still need training 101

momtoBlue is offline Senior Member

DefaultI still need training 101

Ok..so Miss Blue is being good in the backyard and she'll stay if the back gate is open but the front door..still no way and she run out but I did have an aha moment because she waited for me before she took off as if it were game. She didn't go far but still doesn't come when called..I think if she does it next time, I will take a ball but I think I'm going to have to get a trainer to get it right. I would love to have it that she stays in the front yard with me.

I have been working on the sit/stay. So any suggestions are greatly welcomed!!
    <br /><br />Mom to 3 busy boys and&nbsp; my sweet little lab girl!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I still need training 101

If it were me I'd probably have Blue on a lead (even a long lead if she's doing well) with exceptionally smelly yummy treats in my pockets. Everytime she responds to the "aagghh!" when she looks like taking off she gets a bit of the treat and LOTS of excited praise.

I guess I'd just make sure that whatever I have on me is of very high value to her so the temptation to get what is on you is greater than the temptation to take off.

Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

See the OUR BEST ADVICE sticky.....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

momtoBlue is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I still need training 101 *update*

Ok..so a little update....I have been working on the lead with treats.

Yesterday, the kids, dog and I were on a playdate. We took them all for a walk at the bog (greenbelt)..so I braced myself and let the leash go as the other dog was off leash...anyways, I must report..I got down and called her back and SHE CAME BACK TWICE!!! I did without treats but I think it is a start hopefully. I actually did it without treats. I'm over the moon!!!
    <br /><br />Mom to 3 busy boys and&nbsp; my sweet little lab girl!!

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I still need training 101 *update*

Quote Originally Posted by momtoBlue
    Ok..so a little update....I have been working on the lead with treats.

Yesterday, the kids, dog and I were on a playdate. We took them all for a walk at the bog (greenbelt)..so I braced myself and let the leash go as the other dog was off leash...anyways, I must report..I got down and called her back and SHE CAME BACK TWICE!!! I did without treats but I think it is a start hopefully. I actually did it without treats. I'm over the moon!!!

that's excellent! WTG ... it's so great when you see some positive progress isn't it. Awesome work to you and Blue!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

TN_LAB is offline Member

Very cool.
    I too am working hard on recall. I was watching some hunting dog videos and it seems the recall is always a challenge. It's something we'll need to work on constantly.

One of the videos suggested playing hot potato type game. You and 1 (or more people) take a few treats and spend time calling your dog back and forth between yourselves. My wife, my daughter and I formed a triangle and called our pup back and forth. After a few minutes, the dog was practically guessing which one of us was about to call her. It was fun for all of us. In a few days we'll give her treats randomly and hopefully wheen her off the treats completely.

lenny7 is offline Junior Member

We do the hot potato thing and that works well. As you get the dog going back and forth, start walking away from each other and stretch out the distance he has to cover to get to the next treat.

The other thing that's been working well for me is to practice the Sit (to me, a Sit *is* a Sit-Stay) then start working on getting distance between you and the dog. He'll get pretty anxious, wanting to come to you but you want to make sure you call Come or Here before he breaks on his own. You'll be able to read him after a couple of times. With each reiteration, stretch out the distance and lengthen the time before you call Come. Before you do call it, to make it even more tantalizing for him, lean forward, hands on knees ( or kneel on the ground with arms spread out) before calling Come.

He will be so focused on getting to you as soon as possible you won't even need treats for this. I had a lot of trouble with recall before we started doing this and the hot potato drill. After 3 or 4 days, Kody is really doing a great job coming when called. I make sure, however, that I don't call him unless I know he'll come back or I know I can enforce the command.