Jumping and bitey

Thread: Jumping and bitey

archieandus is offline Member

DefaultJumping and bitey

Archie is 16-weeks today. No potty accidents in the house for several weeks, and he's doing great. I need to get him to a good trainer...I just don't have enough knowledge on my own. Last night I had him meet several of the neighbors and it went fairly well, but it's a constant "off" so that he won't jump. After about 20 minutes he settled down. Here's my questions:

What's the best way to teach "off"?

When I'm petting him, he just doesn't seem to want to settle, and can't seem to stop biting my hands and arms. Is this an age and breed thing? I try distracting him with toys, but it's not always effective. He has lots of access to good toys, and he gets two good walks a day. He's never alone for more than three hours, once or twice a week, and he had a "modified" kennel, in that it's open and contained within a gated small dining room. If he's not in there with me, then he's outside with us. Is it normal for this breed at this age to not settle down and allow for gentle "down time"?

TIA for any advice,

Kathleen

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Jumping and bitey

Quote Originally Posted by Archienus
    Archie is 16-weeks today. No potty accidents in the house for several weeks, and he's doing great. I need to get him to a good trainer...I just don't have enough knowledge on my own. Last night I had him meet several of the neighbors and it went fairly well, but it's a constant "off" so that he won't jump. After about 20 minutes he settled down. Here's my questions:

What's the best way to teach "off"?

When I'm petting him, he just doesn't seem to want to settle, and can't seem to stop biting my hands and arms. Is this an age and breed thing? I try distracting him with toys, but it's not always effective. He has lots of access to good toys, and he gets two good walks a day. He's never alone for more than three hours, once or twice a week, and he had a "modified" kennel, in that it's open and contained within a gated small dining room. If he's not in there with me, then he's outside with us. Is it normal for this breed at this age to not settle down and allow for gentle "down time"?

TIA for any advice,

Kathleen
    Did you try reading through the "Our Best Advice" post on the top of the page - this topic is covered there.

He may need to have some fetch sessions during the day besides the walks. And - you should look for a puppy class - not just a trainer. Obedience classes and puppy socialization classes are great for him and will teach you how to work with him.
    Sharon