Just Labradors banner

2 Dog Jealousy Effecting Performance in the Agility Ring - Help!!

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  imported_gabbys mom 
#1 ·
Marlan has been in Agility for about 1 year now, and him and I really enjoy working together. He is generally quite smart, fast, and learns easily.

I recently started Riggs in Agility and they go back to back on Monday nights. Riggs goes first, and then Marlan. Ever since I started Riggs, Marlan refuses to run with me. It's to the point where he won't even jump. My trainer says he's jealous because Riggs is now doing it too. I'm not so sure, but I suppose he could be a little mad at me. She even ran with him and he was completely fine with her.

Now I don't know what to do - because I can't switch nights right now (she has no spots in her other class), Marlan doesn't really have a "high reward" treat (he likes everything), and I'm not keen on bringing Marlan into the barn while I work with Riggs.

I'm thinking about giving Marlan a kong while I take Riggs inside - does anyone have any other ideas? Has this ever happened to anyone else?

#2 ·
How about if Marlan isn't working, crate him and take Riggs out instead. Work the jealousy to your advantage and teach him that if he doesn't give it his all, you'll switch to a more cooperative dog. If he wants to stay out, he's got to keep working.

ETA: When he IS working, praise him profusely. Even more than usual if need be.

#3 ·
Usually it works the other way around- once you get a second dog and start working with it, dog number one puts in tons more effort.

I'd really just "tell him" to get over it. If he doesn't complete an exercise correctly, correct him in your normal style and praise him when he does stuff right (I don't know what style of agility training you subscribe to- some do no corrections, some do a mix, etc- I do a mix). If you do business as normal- whoops, you missed the entrance to the weaves, do that again, oooh good boy on the teeter, etc- I suspect it will fix itself pretty quickly.

I don't really waste a lot of time wondering if Gabs or Maverick are "mad" at me, especially about something that they have fun with and I spend money for, like agility. It's their problem, not mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.