Broken Baby Tooth

Thread: Broken Baby Tooth

kathleen is offline Member

DefaultBroken Baby Tooth

My 14 week old appears to have broken one of his teeth. Pardon me for not knowing the correct name for the tooth, but it's one of the big pointy ones on the bottom. As far as I can tell it didn't fall out, but rather broke close to the gum. There's a bit of tooth left and I can see the nerves inside the tooth. He's not whining, but he's a little sedate this morning...not as active as usual. Does this warrant a trip to the vet, or should I just keep an eye on it? I know it will soon fall out, but I don't want him to be in pain in the meantime.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Meg
    Meg is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Broken Baby Tooth

My pup broke one of his upper canine a while ago. I called a family friend who is a vet and he said that as long as it didn't get worse then it should be okay. I decided against going to the vet and watched the tooth and gums for any changes. He never seemed to be in pain and I could touch the tooth with no problem so I just left it alone. When I took him to the vet for another reason my vet remarked about it and said that it wasn't a big deal as he would be loosing it soon. If it will give you piece of mind to get it checked out then by all means go! Sometimes it's better to be safe than sorry.

I took him to the vet. She said that since it's broken so close to the gum, it needs to be removed. We scheduled to have it done on Thursday, and he's going to get neutered at the same time (a bit earlier than expected, but better to get it all done at once). Until then, she put him on antibiotics and a pain killer. Glad I went!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Meg
    Meg is offline Senior Member

I'd be a little wary of having him neutered so young. Many people recommend that you wait until at least 6 months at the earliest.

Honestly, I'd be more wary of having him sedated twice. I've known dogs who were neutered even younger than Louie's age and they've turned out just fine.