Stay home for a week, or just jump into the routine?

Thread: Stay home for a week, or just jump into the routine?

MissZoesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultStay home for a week, or just jump into the routine?

I have been trying to read up on all aspects of puppy training and raising since I was added to the wait list for a puppy from my chosen breeder (I just love saying this, I could say it over and over, LOL, I know it probably gets annoying, since all my posts begin this way...). I have a question about the puppy's first week home. Some books reccomend arranging time off work, at least a week, to spend with the pup, other books reccomend bringing the puppy home and following your normal routine, going to work, coming home, all the norms, so that the pup adjusts from day one. I'm not sure which is best. I don't want my pup to expect me to be home all day when I won't, but I don't want to abandon it so soon after loosing its mommy and sibling. Does anyone here have an opinion on what is best? I thought about taking the first week off, but doing my best to stick to what will be the daily routine, you know, get up at my normal time, take pup potty, play/train a little, eat, take pup potty, more play, crate while I get dressed, and so on. I just don't know. Please educate me. :educated: *grinz*

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Stay home for a week, or just jump into the routine?

Puppies are somewhat adaptable but it's nice to not stretch their adaptability T-O-O far.

I have a lot of flexibility in time since I'm retired and available 24 hrs.

When I brought Puff home (runt of her litter, 6 lbs @ 9 wks old) I put a sleeping bag in the kitchen (tile floor, easily cleaned) and slept there cuddling her for her first two nights to ease the separation from her former home.

After that, I moved her to a small crate in my bedroom for the night.

She seemed to adapt well.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748