keeping collar in proper position

Thread: keeping collar in proper position

roguestorm is offline Junior Member

Defaultkeeping collar in proper position

Hi all!

Sergeant is now 4.5 months, 46.5 pounds and doing just great. A lot of his puppy nipping has ceased and he leaves my daughter alone for the most part. He has taken a car trip to Florida (12 hours broken down into 2 days) and joined right in with my uncle's pack of 4 goldens while in FL. It was terrific to see him playing with them. I am so happy to have a yellow lab in the family...

But I have a question about keeping collars in the proper position.

I do know that for training purposes, the collar is to be high on the neck, just behind the ears. I started with a snap collar and moved to a choke chain, due to his pulling. When walking with the collar in the proper place, he responded very quickly to the corrections issued. However, it seems as if he is able to maneuver the collar into a lower place on his neck. Once this happens, the pulling begins again.

I switched to the gentle leader and he has done extremely well, but really doesn't like the nose loop. He tolerates it and walks well with it, but is very happy to get it off when we get back inside. If I don't put the nose loop up, he reverts to the pulling... not as much as he did before, but it does continue.

1) Is there a way to keep a collar high up the neck in the proper position without having to stop every few feet to make a collar adjustment?

2) Suggestions on re-enforcing the good walking I get on the gentle leader when not training and on regular collar... would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: keeping collar in proper position

I would just train him to loose-leash walk. Issuing collar corrections with a collar way up on the neck is really hard on the trachea, that's why they "work" better.

There's some good advice on loose leash walking training in the "Our Best Advice" thread stickied at the top of this section. 

Edited to add, I wouldn't use a choke collar at all on a 4.5 month old pup.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I'd get a front clip harness (sen-sation/sens-ible or easy walk). Use that for management for 90% of the walk. Occasionally, switch the leash to his flat collar and have a short training session on loose leash walking. Use tons of praise and treats as long as the dog keeps the leash loose. If the leash tightens, immediately stop and walk backwards until the dog refocusses on you, then reward and move forward again. After 5 minutes or so, switch back to the harness and finish your walk.

I second the caution against a choke collar on a baby puppy, you can do permanent damage to their growing trachea/throat.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

I just adjust it between exercises.....

I had looked in the BEST ADVICE sticky for this information and couldn't find it (there are SO MANY posts in the thread). I just did another look over in the thread and found a link to this thread:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,16082.0.html (reply #5)

I will give this a go and see if we can get LLW working for us! Thanks.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

You're right! :surprise:

I could have sworn Dana's (fallriver) LLW post was in Our Best Advice. Huh.

Regardless, glad you found it and wish you luck! Remember, consistency is KEY.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

The link for the post WAS in the BEST ADVICE, it was just easy to overlook! And I figured if I relinked to it, some other people searching for loose leash walking might find it easier through this thread.

Training update:
    I did a little training session early this afternoon around the back patio based on the post by FALLRIVER... because Sergeant already sits when he pulls and realizes I have stopped, we moved forward a bit in the steps listed! He did so well with it, that I decided to try it out in the WILD, DISTRACTING front yard this evening! I felt he did great, and didn't even use the nose loop of the GL. So we will work, work, work on LLW tips from the post.

Thanks.