Biting and jumping

Thread: Biting and jumping

AReims is offline Senior Member

DefaultBiting and jumping

I got a bit of a problem here. Martta is now 9 months. She has learned not to jump up when greeting me. But if we are on a walk or someone comes to visit, she jumps against people to greet them. I have told people to ignore her if she does that, but some people just don't get it ( like my dad...*sigh*). She often, too, stops to wait(lies down) for an interesting person to greet them (or wants to..not that I let her). If she's focused on the person, not even treats help, have tried. Any advice?

And finally, the thing that kinda worries me the most, is that she is still quite mouthy. When she gets exited, she tries to nip at my hands. I grab her bottow jaw and hold down the tongue and say "No Bite.. Sometimes she's too quick though, and dodges it, thinking it's a game. And also if people try to pet her, if we are outside and she's on a leash, she tries to jump and nip at people. it's not agression, shr just gets really excited and starts doing this. How could I teach her not to nip at or bite people? One trainer suggested I put vinegar or tabasco on my hands, but what to do when it's about greeting strangers. Getting kind of desperate here .

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brodys Mom is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: Biting and jumping

We are in the middle of the same training with our 6 month old Lab. I have actually learned a great deal from watching "Its Me Or The Dog" on the Discovery channel. Victoria Stillwell is the trainer, and she is incredible at using "Positive" training approaches.
    One thing she tried on a "jumper" was putting a sign at the door stating "training in progress" and instructed visitors not to look at, speak to, or acknowledge the dog in any way, until it was in the "sit" position. If the dog stood up, or jumped, the visitor was to fold their arms and turn their back to the dog until he sat down again. It obviously took some patience, but eventually, the dog understood that he would'nt get any attention, until he controlled his urge to jump and/or mouth.
    If you can't catch the show, look up the website, you'll love it!!!
    Brodys Mom<br />Central Florida

Dave121 is offline Member

I agree "Its Me Or The Dog" is very interesting. Filmed in the UK, its on "Animal Planet" at 6pm most nights.

This should be good.....

Victoria has begun filming for a new US version of her hit dog training show, 'It's Me or the Dog.' New episodes are tentatively scheduled to air in late 2008. Commisioned by Animal Planet in the US, the shows are being produced by Ricochet, the same production company for the original UK series.
    Links....

http://animal.discovery.com/converge...r-the-dog.html

http://www.victoriastilwell.com/

Theres even a forum........

http://www.victoriastilwell.com/phpB...4eae450291132d

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AReims is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the links.Unfortunately, I don't see the show being on the listing of Discovery Channel here in Europe. But the links are informative.

Dave121 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by AReims
    Thanks for the links.Unfortunately, I don't see the show being on the listing of Discovery Channel here in Europe. But the links are informative.
    What part of Europe are you from? (I am British) You can click on your country in this link and it will give you the tv schedule......

http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/tv..._code=APLU-ENG

Hope this helps. I am not sure whether the show is on at the moment in Europe. I know that she has just started filming for the new UK series. We have been getting re-runs here in the U.S.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I am going through the exact same things with my 9 month old Golden Retriever. I think I nipped it in the bud yesterday, when we had 7 people at our house. Each time someone pulled up in the driveway, I put her training leash on (just a regular nylon rope leash, clipped on itself to form a loop over her neck). When they came in I completely controlled her with the leash. Made her sit to be pet. If she went to mouth someone to say "hi", I gave her a quick correction on the leash. I was so proud of her!!

Try that maybe?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"