PLEASE HELP!

Thread: PLEASE HELP!

archieandus is offline Member

DefaultPLEASE HELP!

Hello,

My lab is 14 weeks old. Great dog, we love him. We love our son's safety more, though. On two different occasions within three days, Archie has scratched our son's neck enough to draw blood. We practically hover over them both to prevent this, but we aren't perfect, and these two times Archie wanted to play. Mason is about 37 inches tall, just the right height for Archie to jump up to. I have been working on "off" all the time, and Archie will sit when asked. He's really the smartest dog I've ever had, but I don't know if it's safe to keep him. I am heartbroken to think we made a bad decision and that our son is just too young (2 1/2 years) for this breed. I am not willing to give up and adopt him out (but I don't want to risk my son getting hurt worse), yet I think my husband has different thoughts. I will keep Archie and Mason separate for now, until I have a clear game-plan.

I am home all day with the two of them, doling out as much attention as I possibly can. Archie is potty-trained and hasn't had an accident in two weeks. He's awesome and my heart is just splitting thinking I might have to give him up if I can't stop this behavior.

Please help, we need it.

Thanks,
    Kathleen

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: PLEASE HELP!

tether him to your belt, enrol into obedience classes and follow this: http://hometown.aol.com/morndogs/myhomepage/

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Hard work, perseverance, and training will result in this...........

My son is 3 soon to be 4. I couldnt imagine those two apart. It will happen you just need to give it a chance. Your puppy is seeing your son as a playmate atm and you need to direct him as Kaytris has pointed out

Good luck

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

they are both babies. You have to expect that! Thether him to you. I know that people love the concept of their kids growing up with puppies, but the reality is puppies need to play, and they usually play rough. Since your child is small, they see them as a playmate. Supervise play or crate him and play with your dog and train him when your child is doing something else, like sleeping.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

One other piece of advice in addition to teaching OFF: Keep the nails trimmed. Doing so from an early age and making it a pleasant experience also makes maintenance easier when they're older.

archieandus is offline Member

Wow, what a great picture. Thanks for the reply, and yeah I will keep him tethered to me. I'm also looking into a good trainer for all of us.

Thanks,
    Kathleen

Quote Originally Posted by kaznalf
    Hard work, perseverance, and training will result in this...........

My son is 3 soon to be 4. I couldnt imagine those two apart. It will happen you just need to give it a chance. Your puppy is seeing your son as a playmate atm and you need to direct him as Kaytris has pointed out

Good luck