I am so upset, she bit my son in the face this morning...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am so upset, she bit my son in the face this morning...

RiverGrove is offline Junior Member

DefaultI am so upset, she bit my son in the face this morning...

Hi everyone,

Our female bench lab puppy is 11 weeks old. I know everyone keeps saying that the biting is normal, but this feels very wrong...

We have four children and she is somewhat fine/typical puppy with the older two girls(12 & 13). Whnever the boys (8 & 10) come into her space she jumps on them and wants to bite. The problem is mostly with the 8 year old and now he is traumatized by her.

This morning I had her on a 15 foot lead in the kitchen. We were eating our breakfast at the table and she was just far enough away that she couldn't come to the table. My youngest son came downstairs to see her as she sat watching us calmly. As he approached her she lunged up at his face and bit him on the eye. I am so upset right now. He was screaming and couldn't open his eye for about 5 minutes. It seems okay now and there is no blood, but it is stinging like crazy and I think I'll need to have it looked at. I can understand the playing and getting nipped, but this seemed quite deliberate. Am I wrong? I am scared to let him go near her. I am scared to let other little kids near her because she want to bite and jump them all the time.

When she does this we say "No Bite", hold her mouth shut, ignore her and walk away. I also get the kids to cross their arms and look up at the sky if she makes a run at them. This works sometimes. I find if I say ouch loudly, and walk away ignoring her, it works well for me, but she treats the kids completely different than me and my husband.

I remeber when we got our german shepherd puppy when I was a child (I was about 11 ish). She NEVER did this to us. I don't get it. I thought labs were supposed to be good with children. That's why I picked this breed.

That said, here's what's going well. She sleeps in her crate from 10 until 7- 8 am. No accidents ever in there. She knows where to go pee and poop outside and does it on command practically (rings the bell). She does have the odd accident in the house. She seems pretty smart. We've read a few training books and are really trying to do things right. I'm not expecting perfection, but I am so disapointed and upset.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I am so upset, she bit my son in the face this morning...

While it's unfortunate that she hit his eye, it's completely normal behavior. It sounds like your on the right track with your training, it WILL kick in...just keep in mind she's still a baby. I'd recommend looking into a puppy obedience class and start going so you can get some hands-on help if needed.

She's adorable
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

imported_GoodDog is offline Junior Member

sorry to read this. This is not what you want to hear but puppy biting is normal They don't understand the rules at this age. I am going thru the same thing. It sounds like you are doing the correct things to modify the behavior but it does not happen overnight and its possibly will get worse before it gets better as their adult teeth will not come in until 6 months give or take.

Tell your children not to put their faces within striking distance of the puppy. as the puppy gets a little older she will be able to jump up which adds to the problem. Hang in there and keep correcting her and provide distractions when the puppy is biting.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well, yes, I guess I do want to hear it's normal.

I'd rather hear that than "sorry to hear you picked a wild beast that can never be tamed!!!"

There is another family in the neighbourhood with a sibling puppy and they don't seem to be having these troubles.

We shall continue on...

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

To add to the chorus this is normal - albeit not wanted behavior.

I am curious about her behavior differences with the boys - are they playing rougher with her? Rough play will lead a puppy to be more rambunctious and mouthy. Mine was much worse with my older son than with anyone else as his prior owner was a college aged young man who encouraged mouthiness with very rough play. Not to blame your son for this incident - but dogs behavior rarely happens in a vacuum. Look at the dynamic and what is influencing her.

The other thing is that a 15 foot lead allows you no control whatsoever. Use a 6 foot lead when you want to be actively monitoring and influencing her and keep her crated when you cannot be actively monitoring and influencing her.

She will grow out of this if you are consistent and the boys play appropriately with her.
    Sharon

Actually, the boys are very gentle and calm with her. My youngest won't go near her at all usually. He has been scared of her from day one since she started to go after him the most. We've had a rule from the beginning that there is no wrestling or tug of war with her. Period. Ever.

Yes, we do use the crate whenever we can't be with her 100% of the time.

GTownPride is offline Senior Member

Bunny is 5 and a half months old and she still occasionally nibbles when she's licking you if she is really excited. I think your pup may treat the kids differently because they are smaller and tend to be louder and more excited not necessarily with her but in general. What worked for us was to have my sister who is 10, bring Bunny a toy so she had something suitable to bite and chew on. Try not to be upset with her, she doesn't know any better just yet, I'd keep doing what you are doing. She'll get the hang of it, it just takes some time.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Sounds completely normal, but you want to kick this in the bud now.
    There is another family in the neighbourhood with a sibling puppy and they don't seem to be having these troubles.
    Is this sibling a male, by any chance? My 2 males (labs) were never mouthy or bitey to us. Ever. Now we have a female (golden retriever) and she's horrible!! We're teaching her "no bite".

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

puppyraiser4geb is offline Junior Member

My guess is that your puppy has figured out that your son is afraid of him.
    Dogs work on a strict hierarchy system, so you need to establish that your son 'outranks' your pup.

Try having your son feed the puppy. This will be a two man at first, until the pup learns that she must 'sit and stay' and wait for a release command before eating (assuming you don't do this already) Have the puppy sit and wait while your son puts the food down. Then your son can give a release command "Take it" "You're free" or the like.

This reinforces that your son is higher ranked than the pup because your son is in charge of food (and we all know how labs love their food!).

Take what you can use, and leave the rest...

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    Sounds completely normal, but you want to kick this in the bud now.
    Is this sibling a male, by any chance? My 2 males (labs) were never mouthy or bitey to us. Ever. Now we have a female (golden retriever) and she's horrible!! We're teaching her "no bite".
    I had the opposite my male was quite mouthy and my female has never been. And I got her as a younger puppy. Never had a female lab - my female is a Shepherd and they are not typically very mouthy puppies.
    Sharon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast