night time destruction

Thread: night time destruction

savvy is offline Junior Member

Defaultnight time destruction

We have a 11 month old black lab. For the most part he is very easy to train and learns quickly. He already heals, waits, retrieves, drops it, etc. We keep him in dog run during the day due to his destructive behavior when we are not supervising. He has chewed everything in sight. He has gone trough 3 garden hoses and the last straw was the boat wiring.

At night he is out of his run and has a crate in the outside shop and is there with his older "brother" Sonny. Now we have found he is up during the night chewing on things. He has again chewed through the boat wiring. My husband is taking this personally, like the dog has it out for him.

Is this common in Labs? Does he need to be kennelled all night too? Will he grow out of this?

I have never had a dog that roamed around in the middle of the night getting into mischief.

Sandee

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: night time destruction

sounds to me like he might need more exersize ...

both physically and mentally

then he'll sleep through the night

when he is in his run does he have anything to do? some interactive toys or stuffed kongs may keep him awake longer

he should also get some REAL running in - a 5 minute on leash walk doesn't cut it for these active pooches...

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Sounds to me as if he's bored out of his mind and needs more exercise and more time with people and more training. This chewing behavior is quite normal and common for Labs lacking those things. Labs are not park and forget 'em dogs.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

Yep, he's bored. Is he completely an outside dog?
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree - more exercise and stimulation is needed. If you describe his day-to-day routine we might be able to tell you where you are going wrong.

It is not abnormal for an 11 month old to be destructive, but they should not be destructive ALL of the time unless they are very bored.

fburke is offline Senior Member

Definitely sounds board. Labs are smart and need mental stimulation. Also plenty of things they can chew, chewing is a natural instinct.

My willow is a chewer, I give her hoofs you can buy at the local pet store just make sure to get the thick ones so that don’t splinter, marrow bones (soup bones) bought at the local store are also good you can freeze them.

Then I would highly recommend a crate to protect your home and your lab from chewing something dangerous.

Willow is 2 and I still have to crate her at night and when I am not home, I could not imagine the destruction she would do if it didn’t crate her.

Plenty of exercise is also a must a run in the yard or a park, take a nightly walk good for both you and your lab. If time is tight try enrolling in a doggie day care a day or two a week.

Good luck!

Dani is offline Senior Member

Dogs don't rationalize like humans. He's not out to get your husband. He's bored and doesn't sound like he gets much interaction from you. Not good.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

At night he is out of his run and has a crate in the outside shop and is there with his older "brother" Sonny. Now we have found he is up during the night chewing on things. He has again chewed through the boat wiring. My husband is taking this personally, like the dog has it out for him.
    Everything about that is just wrong. HE NEEDS MORE EXERCISE. He is bored to tears, being left outside 24/7. Does he ever come inside and interact with the 2 of you?

Wait. If he has a crate in the outside shop, how is able to chew thing? The crate should be locked down so he can't chew stuff. Not to mention how very dangerous it is for the dog. A garden hose and wiring and he hasn't had any intestinal blockages? Wow.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

If the dog is so easy to train, you could accomplish miracles by just allowing the dog to spend time with the humans and supervise his behavior. The dog should actually ONLY be crated at night and when you can't supervise. The dog is bored, underexercised and untrained.