House Breaking

Thread: House Breaking

suej Guest

DefaultHouse Breaking

Hi
    Brody is 5 1/2 months old. He recently started pooping in the house. He goes out and pees and poops when he eats and we take him out every couple of hours. When he is left on his own he poops/pees. How do you handle this? We have been putting him in his crate and cleaning it up but I cant figure out why he has started doing it now! Thanks
    Sue

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: House Breaking

Where is he pooping? I would restrict his access in the house to one or two rooms at the MOST. He needs to be confined to the rooms you are in, and if you aren't in the room with him and plan on being gone for more than a potty break yourself, getting a drink from the fridge, or putting the laundry in the dryer, I would either put him on a lead and take him with you or put him back in the crate.

Dani is offline Senior Member

When you can't supervise, crate.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Scoper50 is offline Senior Member

Odie is 7 months old and I haven't even tried leaving him out of his crate when I'm gone for any significant amount of time. I've left him alone, uncrated for 10-15 minutes when I go to the store down the street, post office, liquor store, etc.. But if I'm going to be gone for longer than that I crate him. And I plan to until he is at least 9 months old. Given that he has went a long time (at least two months) without an accident in the house I will gate off my kitchen and let him have that room to himself when I am gone for extended peroids of time. If he screws that up, it's back in the crate for a month or so. But if he has success for say a month, I'll open up another room to him, and go from there. I think a five month old puppy is too young to be 100% reliable when it comes to house training. I condider my dog to be house trained, but just a few weeks ago he crapped all over the basement floor when my roommate was home. It was just a freak thing because he usually goes to the door and requests to be let outside. You just never know what they are going to do when they are that young. Be patient and be able to accept the fact that it may take a long time before he'll be reliable with free reign of the house by himself. And also accept the fact that some dog are never 100% reliable. Not saying that your dog is part of that group, but some dogs are just that way. They need to be crated for life when you are away. But anyway, be patient and don't jump the gun.

suej Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    Where is he pooping? I would restrict his access in the house to one or two rooms at the MOST. He needs to be confined to the rooms you are in, and if you aren't in the room with him and plan on being gone for more than a potty break yourself, getting a drink from the fridge, or putting the laundry in the dryer, I would either put him on a lead and take him with you or put him back in the crate.
    He is pooping in the kitchen. I have confined him to the kitchen and thought I could give him some freedom while I went upstairs to make beds, get kids bathed and dressed...., I guess he is just not ready yet. Thanks for your advice.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748