When does play become too rough?

Thread: When does play become too rough?

Shima is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhen does play become too rough?

Chloe and Reecie are both 9 month old lab mixes. They play bite and chew on each other ALL day long. We've noticed some scabs on them when we check for ticks. This must be due to breaking the skin when biting, but they're labs. That's what they do. Has anyone else had any similar experience? Do they grow out of this chewing/biting each other stage? If so, what age might we look forward to calmer, less wrestling dogs? Thanks, Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_nellies mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: When does play become too rough?

If they were mine I would break them up before the play got too rough. Give them a time out to settle down. As they get older the playing should improve.
    <br />~~~~~~~~<br />Danie<br />Nellie, CGC<br />~~~~~~~~<br />The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Little scabs are no big deal.

You can tell when it is out of hand by the nature of their play. When one of them gets angry and the play turns into a fight I would break that up - but not the regular play. I stay out of that with my 2 (who are 11 years old and 2 years old). I do interfere when my older dog starts kicking the younger one's butt - she can be pretty aggressive. But mine have never really hurt each other. Most dog siblings can be pretty self regulating and you need them to be able to work it out on their own.
    Sharon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Shima is offline Junior Member

Thanks. Yes they do work things out on their own. It never escalates to angry dog fighting, just overly aggressive play. We do split them up after a while of this type play though so they can take a break.

fburke is offline Senior Member

Yes I have he same issue with my Willow (2 year old) and my Autumn (5 months old). Willow’s ears have small scabs. Autumn is always hanging either from her ear or scruff of the neck. I don’t usually interfere because Willow will put her in her place if she gets a little too rough. So far no issues.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Let them work it out. Rider has scabs all over him too...and now Rookie has them from WIlbur (our foster pup)...it's no big deal I only intervene when I can't stand the racket as they are very vocal at times.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

TheLimpShrimp is offline Senior Member

Yes, my two have had numerous "battle scars" from serious roughhousing. I have never felt the need to break them up, as usually the smaller one will lose interest and tell him off if her larger playmate is overdoing it. But yeah, if it turns ugly I step in.

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nellies mom
    If they were mine I would break them up before the play got too rough. Give them a time out to settle down. As they get older the playing should improve.
    I agree here!!!