Just Labradors banner

To Crate Or Not To Crate

12K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  jacob21 
#1 ·
Okay I have to say first off I am pro crate. My Cocker Spaniel was crate trained and though she doesent use it anymore I beleive it helped with house training. Now I do beleive every dog is different and some can be house trained with out a crate. I mean it was only two years ago when I was actually introduced to the concept of using a crate to help house train a puppy.

I took away Sawyers food and water at about 7:30pm and he has been napping on and off ever since. Every time he wakes up I take him outside and he pee's multiple times and then goes poo once. We then come back inside and play and then he passes back out lol. He has been so good I have been debating with myself wether to crate him tonight or let him sleep in my room?

I guess I could just use tonight as a test. We will try it in my room and if it doesent work out he can be in the crate tomarow. Ahhh

#5 ·
Another vote for Crating. My puppy is now 4 months old. He was crated from the beginning. He is housebroken (I know I am going to regret saying that) and has now been allowed to sleep on the dog beds with the big dogs. I find the crate is a great housebreaking tool. I have found using the crate to make things progess much more quickly. Besides, you can look at it another way, it is good for them to be comfortable in a crate. It helps at any time they may need to be kenneled, like the vet, travelling and what have you.

Good luck!

#6 ·
Having two dogs that weren't crate trained and one that is...I later found out when I had to keep a dog quiet because of an injury that crate training was worth its weight in gold. The crate trained dog doesn't EVER use the crate on his own anymore but if I need to use it for any reason he's good about it. Trying to use it on the untrained dog resulted in having to buy a new crate and I dog that wasn't quiet by any means.
I vote for crate training!

#7 ·
I vote crate also. It's so useful not just for potty training, or for confining a dog post-surgery, but like Lori said, if you ever plan on travelling with your pup and staying in hotels, flying with your pup, it's a godsend. It also provides them with a place to call their own. My 5 year old has been out of his crate during the day and at night for quite some time now, but he still likes to go into his crate to hang out.

#8 ·
I vote for crate training as well. Honestly, I don't see how you can housebreak any dog without it. It seems like not using a crate would only prolong the process. Also, a crate can be necessary for things other than potty training. There may be times when you need your dog to be in his crate (guests are over, an injury like previous poster mentioned, etc.) and you will be glad that you decided to crate train him in the beginning.

#12 ·
My 2 year old is still crated when we are out as he likes to shred magazines and owners manuals. He is happy in his crate and goes into it on his own when he sees us getting ready to leave.

As long as you do not frame the crate as a punishment, your dog will be fine with it.

I have an older dog we were not able to crate train and if I needed to confine her for whatever reason, we would be very hard pressed.

#13 ·
You just got the puppy...he'll change ;)

I do crate train my puppies from the get-go. At night, as soon as they show they're sleeping through the night consistantly, I let them sleep on a dog bed in my room instead of their crate. Bono was on his dog bed by 9 or 10wks.

They're still crated while I'm gone or can't supervise them for some time.

#14 ·
We crate the boys at night. They are way too creative in finding stuff to tear up, unless EVERY door in the house is shut, and I need them open for air circulation (no AC)! Sometimes they seem very good, and I am tempted to leave them out or take one on the bed with me, but it's best they just be crated. It's good for them.

#15 ·
Years ago before crating was popular I raised two labs without the crates. If someone is home and can pay attention 24 hours a day, you might have some success. I would never raise a pup without a crate ever again.

#17 ·
Kassy- We recently adopted a 7-month-old (now 8 months) lab and he crate trained in 2 days, so it's not too late. He came from a home where he had a large outdoor kennel run and yard. He sleeps in the crate at night and during the day we alternate between outside time (in a large fenced yard), inside in the crate, or loose inside with constant supervision.

#18 ·
Hi, thanks for the good advise. As a starter, should I place my crate in the house and then slowly move it outside after my doggie crate trained? My intention is to put her at the car porch (outside the house) eventually. I let her roam in my kitchen since she was 2 months old whenever I am away.

#19 ·
a dog should never be crated outside. it would be very unsafe. Crates are meant to keep a dog safe INDOORS.

Why do you want to keep the dog in the car porch? If she is crate trained she can happily just be crated indoors and it will be a spot she can go in and out of anytime.

#20 ·
I decided not to crate train my puppy. At night I put him in bed with me and he sleeps throughout the night with me without incident or accident from the very beginning. He was about 10 weeks when I got him. In the morning I get good snuggles with him and its been a very rewarding bond. During the day while I am at work, I baby gate block the doorway in the kitchen. He has full access to the doggy door and room in the kitchen to move around. This has not been an issue either. Now to get him to stop nipping at me with those sharp puppy teeth and all his sass back when I tell him NO.

#22 ·
Sounds familiar. We are using a kennel, or cage though. We have a traditional "crate" which is a plastic hut with front door that we used for traveling in the car with a previous puppy. Our puppy goes into her kennel by herself and sleeps deeply when in it, snoring, in between visits outside. We take that as an endorsement. She feels safe in there.

#23 ·
I just got my black lab pup who will turn 9 weeks tomorrow. She seems to have a severe case of separation anxiety and wants to be at my feet all the time. I just started getting her use to her crate since she hated it when she first came home. I have her barricaded in the mudroom with her crate and door open. She goes in her crate to sleep while door is open. As soon as I leave the room she screams at the top of her lungs and when it is bedtime same thing, screams for at least 1/2 hour. I have been ignoring her screams and only pick her up or pet when she stops and is quiet. Any suggestions? Will she ever stop screaming?

#24 ·
to be honest I never had that problem but you're asking for suggestions; where are you at bedtime? when Rocky first came home I put the crate in the living room and I slept on the couch for the first month. you have to get up every three hrs.anyway and I liked the idea of knowing what was going on. also, try using the same words at bedtime (day or night)
I use "sleepy time". make sure she has a toy and/or blanket to snuggle with. soon she'll trade that for going to play with the neighbor dog all by herself! :)

#25 ·
I have been sleeping on the couch as well and taking her out every 2 to 3 hours. I guess I need some patience since she has only been with me 4 days! I never had a problem with my other labs as pups and its difficult to ignore her crying but I'm determined to do so. Everything I'm reading said it is important to let her scream. At least she is sleeping in her crate when she naps and I'm going to try and put one of shirts inside with her. I'm also trying to be consistent with bedtime and wakeup time and giving her plenty of exercise throughout the day. At that age it doesn't take too much to pucker them out!

#26 ·
Please if you're new to crates look around or ask, there's good tips that have been posted; one I did when it was first posted was to zip-tie all corners so that they stay closed,
it's possible from just moving it around to come undone.
also, my stupid thing was to get lazy and only hook the top latch of the door, it's thrilling to return from a 20 minute run to the store and find your puppy with his head stuck from pushing on the bottom of the door.

#27 ·
That is so scary. I have used crates before and all my past dogs loved them and never had a problem. I do think with this pup I need to tie wrap the corners since she is a fiery one. At least last night was a peaceful one but the gate still remains open! Today we start closing the gate for short periods and see what happens. She does love to take her naps and sleep in the crate so I think its time to try closing the door. Thank you for your tip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.