Eating Grass... roots and all

Thread: Eating Grass... roots and all

RaceMedic is offline Junior Member

DefaultEating Grass... roots and all

I am new to the forum.

We have a new puppy that is now 4 mths old. He seems to like to eat grass and I have been told that that is normal for dogs. Well my little pup seems to really like grass. He eats the grass roots and all till there is just dirt left. He has eaten a 10" hole in my lawn. I am one of those people who really like taking care of thier lawn. I have a new build home and we have 2 mth old sod that I have been killing myselft tring to make it grow. My new family member Kael is working against the solution.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Kevin

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Eating Grass... roots and all

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the forum, I've been there too all but the new sod part Harlee did this until she was about 6mths old, occasionally i will say that she still likes to dig a bit. What you can do is keep your pup on a leash and give a correction (or clap your hands and say no chew, no dig whatever) so that he is distracted.

That is what I did with Harlee, and as long as you are consistent, your pup will get it soon enough!

fuzbutz2 is offline Junior Member

I had the same problem. The only thing you can do is keep after them with the corrections. They are smart they will figure it out. Mine grew out of the "down to the sod" thing but they both do LOVE the long skinny grass, especially in the spring. They also still eat that (I think it's called Pomp grass) from around the pool. I try to tell them I didn't plant them a personal salad. They don' care.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

I think it depends on how they are eating it. Oona will eat just the tips of the grass. This is normal behavior and I think she does it because the tips are sweet. But when she was a puppy she was eating it like your describing, like a cow chewing cud. We took her in to the vet and she had a parasite. Another friend of mine has an Irish Terrier who was doing the same thing and she had worms.
    Olie

SawyerAndMe990 is offline Senior Member

Lol I have the same problem. Though Sawyer doesent get a chance to get to the roots lol. I do my best to correct him as quickly as possible. The thing that worries me the most about him is he tries to chew prickly plants. He's a grassaholic lol he also loves to rub himself in tall grass or the grass that grows through our neighbors fence lol.
    Sawyer And Morrison

Lab
    Lab/Basset Hound (maybe some Beagle)

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

Oh dear. I feel your pain. My golden does the same thing. Unfortunately for us it has become an obsession. What we are working on now...and hopefully you will have more luck with your puppy since he is young...is "Leave It" and rewarding her with treats for leaving the grass alone. Good luck...and let me know if you find something that works!
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn