Potty training regression

Thread: Potty training regression

MooseDog is offline Member

DefaultPotty training regression

I have a 9 1/2 week old lab puppy who seems to be getting worse with his potty training. We brought him home at 8 weeks, and were amazed at how quickly he picked up on the idea of going outside to go potty. We gave him treats and praised him like crazy when he would go outside. When he did have accidents in the house (usually 2-3x a day) it was always on the tile, near the door - mostly our fault for not getting him out RIGHT away. However, now he seems to be averaging between 5-10 accidents in the house and they're all over the place -- carpet, tile, kennel, etc. We take him out immediately when he wakes up, after he eats, plays hard, etc. and try to get out every 30-60 minutes. When he does go outside, we still praise him and get really excited and he really seems to enjoy this attention and looks at us while he's peeing. We're on the 3rd floor of an apartment, and we've tried many different ways of getting him downstairs. We've been picking him up and carrying him out the door and down the stairs, but I am afraid he won't realize that he needs to go to the door when he has to go out. If we put him on the leash and let him walk down, he'll usually stop to pee. Most of the time when he pees in the house, it's just little piddles, but it's not like he's oblivious to what he's doing -- when we catch him peeing in the house, he just stares at us the entire time he pees. It's hard to tell he's peeing because he doesn't really squat or anything, but it's so frustrating that he stares right at us while he's doing it! We know he can hold it, because he's been sleeping through the night from about 10pm-5am. Today, he piddled twice in his sleep - in the kennel and on the floor. I realize he's still VERY young and I wouldn't normally be complaining at all, except for the fact that he was doing really really well at 8 - 8.5 weeks and seems to be getting worse each day! Any advice or tips would be appreciated, as we've gone through waaaay too many paper towels and Nature's Miracle!
    Moose

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Potty training regression

Being on the 3rd floor of an apartment would be hard!!!

have you thought about something like this out on your balcony? It's just an idea I thought i'd throw at you...http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff...QAdIdZ48853143
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Many years ago, with my first Lab, Bess, we ran into many problems house training -- not so much caused by Bess but by my own ignorance and ineptitude being a first time Lab owner.

Building on that, with Puff, it was much easier.

I don't live on the third floor of an apartment building BUT -- I kept Puff confined to the kitchen where the floor was an easily cleaned tile.

I used "Nature's Miracle" or hydrogen peroxide on any offending spot after cleaning to insure it didn't broadcast radio waves that here was a good spot to pee on again.

I bought a large "Second Nature" dog litter tray by Purina to keep in the kitchen. There was no easy, quick access to the outside from the kitchen at that time and I didn't want to carry a dribbling puppy over a babygate, across a carpeted floor, and out the front door. By the time we got outside, all the dribble stuff would've been drained.

http://www.amazon.com/Purina-SecondN...ref=pd_sim_k_3 (I bought ours at a local PetsMart but PetsMart's website had only the small sizes for toy and miniature dogs.)

While Purina $ell$ a litter (similar to cat litter) and ab$orbent pad$ to put down in the litter tray to pick up urine, I found it was quite satisfactory to use yesterday's newspaper, a few sheets at a time.

Since I'm retired and with Puff almost constantly, whenever I saw her tail go up and starting to squat (to pee) or her back arch with her back & front legs X'ed, I'd whisk her to the tray and reward (treat & praise) for any deposits she made there (cleaning up any misses as previously mentioned).

It did not take long before she was seeking out the tray on her own. (Treat & praise.)

There is a chorus of JL members who are vehemently opposed to any inside potty training and any other potty training except outside on grass.

In support of my method, I can say it worked fine and we didn't have the slightest problem switching to going on grass outside.

Peeing is more frequent and less routine than pooping. For instance, it's used to reply to pee-mail messages dogs encounter on walks and send their own. Pooping tends to occur a certain time after eating and exercise (playing, chasing a ball) hastens it. I marked down the times at which Puff pooped and tried to be more alert around those times either to whisk her to the tray when she was younger or, when older, take her out just before. As she matured, her poop-time ruts changed and I revised her schedule periodically and tried to follow it. (Her current rut, for many years, is to poop & pee at 7 AM, 2 PM, and 10 PM.)

Since those first 7 months, Puff does all of her pottying outside.

Her old litter tray has been thoroughly washed and now, with a pillow in it, serves as her dog bed inside her open crate (she's 63 lbs. and can coil herself to a small profile).

In further defense of my inside method, let me add that I sail and will sometimes overnight with Puff in our sailboat. When that time comes, I'll buy a second Purina "2nd Nature" tray and perfume the papers I'll put in the bottom with dog pee extract to give her a map on where to go. That'll be easier than teaching her to use the dink and motor to reach shore and grass.

Also, I recall a friend who, years ago, had a Dachshund puppy named "Rheinie" Her particular apartment had a l-o-n-g way to get downstairs & outside so she potty trained Rheinie to go on paper. When he grew older, she was frustrated to find he wouldn't go when outside. She asked me (a psych grad student at the time) what to do and I suggested she take along some paper outside and let him go on that. Once that happened, she could gradually reduce the size of the paper.

Some opponents of inside pottying may be pleased to envision a dachshund assuming a pose like a ballerina en pointe trying to hover over a postage stamp size piece of paper. Sorry to disappoint. Within a week, Rheinie not only peed and pooped on the paper but made a successful transition to grass.

Good luck!!
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice and links to some of the other options!

Good news: only one accident today, and it was in the stairwell because I thought I'd attempt to have him walk down by himself because he was doing so good today. Ooops!

Since he's so off and on...I think we're going to give it a little more time before we look into the other options. I don't disagree with indoor potty training, but I keep telling myself that millions of dogs (and their owners!) can handle outdoor potty training,and that we should be able to as well. Thanks again, and I'm crossing my fingers that today isn't just a fluke!
    Moose

puppyraiser4geb is offline Junior Member

Many times the things we do seem to solve the problem when, in reality, the dog's bladder and sphincter muscles mature. So keep on doing what you are doing, and I guarantee things will cure themselves as time goes by.

We had one puppy that we had to feed on the porch, because he couldn't wait the time it took to walk about 40 steps outside after meals. He outgrew it, and things were fine, of course.

As to his being better when he was younger, my guess is that you were both more vigilant and the puppy's water was more carefully rationed. But I could be wrong. It happens every once in a while! hehehe

Well...it turns out it was a bladder infection! After several on & off days, we finally decided to take a urine sample to the vet, even though the vet kept saying "Well...he's a puppy...." She ran a test and blood came up in his urine. Apparently bladder infections are rare in males, so hopefully this is all it is. He's on antibiotics, so hopefully we'll be able to see a change in his potty training once he's feeling better! Thanks though for the advice...just in case we're still having issues when he's healthy (crossing my fingers that we won't!...)
    Moose

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MooseDog
    Well...it turns out it was a bladder infection! After several on & off days, we finally decided to take a urine sample to the vet, even though the vet kept saying "Well...he's a puppy...." She ran a test and blood came up in his urine. Apparently bladder infections are rare in males, so hopefully this is all it is. He's on antibiotics, so hopefully we'll be able to see a change in his potty training once he's feeling better! Thanks though for the advice...just in case we're still having issues when he's healthy (crossing my fingers that we won't!...)

aww poor Moose! I hope he feels better REALLY fast and gets back on track with his potty training.

((hugs)) and here we all were thinking it was your lack of muscle control....
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia