Need help with jumping.

Thread: Need help with jumping.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed help with jumping.

We have been to 2 Ob classes and Bogey is doing great with all of his commands. But I am having trouble with the jumping.

I leash him when people come to the house and he does calm down after a few minutes. But if I let him go he will unexpectedly jump. He knows "off", and listens.

Also, we dont have kids but nieces and nephews who Bogey sees all the time. As you can imagine he is bigger than them so it also poses a problem there. I put him in a "sit stay" while they pet him. And I dont let them come near him until hes sitting. He will still try and jump ( 50% of the time).

He is only a little over a year, so I know hes still just a puppy. But hes a BIG puppy, so I need some tips on getting it under control. Thanks.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need help with jumping.

I'm thinking just a little more time, patience, and practice. If he's got OFF learned well, it's just a matter of generalizing that command to include everyone.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe was a big time jumper.
    For greeting, I used to shove a toy in her mouth. Now, when people come over, she'll grab a toy instead of jump.

For jumping up for treats...this was a hard one. Our behaviorist said, "Zoe has 2 options: to sit or to sit" Now, if people have treats, she'll sit even w/o being told.

good luck.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

I have the same issue with Harlee, she was one on April 29th. My guy friends get a bit annoyed because she is a small lab and she hits them at the worst spot possible, and most times they dont see it coming.

She does not jump at home, but anywhere outside the house it doesn't matter how many times I say off she still jumps. Can't wait to see some responses.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dweck
    I'm thinking just a little more time, patience, and practice. If he's got OFF learned well, it's just a matter of generalizing that command to include everyone.
    Thats kinda what I was thinking, I just didnt know if I could be doing more to reinforce it? But I guess just making him sit for hello is getting the point across?

Courtney, Bogey and Calli