Crate Time Issue

Thread: Crate Time Issue

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

DefaultCrate Time Issue

So here is my dilemma. My company offfers flex-time scheduling in the summer. You can compress your time into 4, 10-hour days, and take Friday off.

Being a new employee and not having vacation time built up, this was an attractive idea to me. There's a few pros and cons to it, but here's the lab related one I need advice with.

Right now, Rupert is crated at home during the day. My wife and I stagger our schedule to the extent possible to cut down on crate time but it's still most of the day.

If I go to 10-hour days, he'll be in the crate an additional hour and a half per day. But, he won't be crated at all Fridays and I'll have time to spend with him.

What would you recommend? The extra time would make for a very long day in there along with no bathroom breaks, but another whole day of the week with no crating at all and someone home for him.

I might say the 5 shorter days because as long as we take him out morning and night, he sleeps most of the day. The other way would be minimal morning exercise and a long day crated up.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Crate Time Issue

how old is he and how long is the longest he'd be left?

honestly if I had that choice at work I wouldn't be able to take it as hubs gets caught at work occasionally and the dogs would end up with at least 10.5 days a couple of times a week..

(their usual day is 6-8 hours and until everybody was over 1 they had a dog walker mid day)

I have left my adult dogs for a 10-11 hour day - maybe twice a year - if I know ahead of time I plan for them to get a break at least once - they survive but I don't think it's healthy

just mho
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller