Refusing to walk

Thread: Refusing to walk

Dave121 is offline Member

DefaultRefusing to walk

Dexter gets plenty of excercise everyday. He normally gets a couple of short walks and one long one which is 2-3 miles. Sometimes we also throw the frizbee for him. Just lately on his long 2-3 mile walk (on a local trail) he sits down and refuses to walk. Most of the time it is near the start of the walk when he sits down so I know he is not tired. I started to think perhaps it was the heat but then it happens when the weather is cool too. Plus he has done plenty of walks in the heat and we always carry water with us. The other interesting thing is that when someone walks by he will get up and then wants to follow, sometimes even pulling on the leash.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Refusing to walk

The secret is to just get him moving. Bring along a small baggie of jackpot treats such as cubes of cheese or a cut up hot dog. Open the bag and hold it out in front of him. When he starts moving give him a small piece as a reward.
    Olie

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Oonas Dad
    The secret is to just get him moving. Bring along a small baggie of jackpot treats such as cubes of cheese or a cut up hot dog. Open the bag and hold it out in front of him. When he starts moving give him a small piece as a reward.
    Olie
    ditto.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

abbers12 is offline Junior Member

I am having the same problem with my 16 week old lab. I know she needs more exercise because as soon as I bring her back in to the house she starts running around like a crazy lady!! But when I have her outside and try to walk her she sits down. I have tried using treats to get her to come but the second she comes to get the treats she sits right back down and stops after she eats the treat. I do not want to drag her on her walks but I am getting very frustrated because I know she needs more exercise but she refuses to walk. I have the time and energy to walk her but I am running out of ideas. Any suggestions to get my lazy lady to move would be greatly appreciated

JustJake is offline Member

I'm sorry...I am actually laughing at this post because it is bringing back some memories of when Jake was younger. He would do the same exact thing, except he would throw himself on the floor and would refuse to come back in from our walks! I remember being so frustrated with him. I felt like he was basically saying, "When I am ready to come in, I will mom, but until then we are doing this my way!" I think he just grew out of it...best of luck. (Is this what it is like to have kids??? I can only imagine they do the same thing!!!)
    Deirdre

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

Jeb used to just lie down in the middle of the walk. When it's really hot (85+) he occasionally will do it. He eventually grew out of it and is great now except when it's really hot. I'd use treats and persist. Jeb is a great walker.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

sarah is offline Senior Member

I would recommend talking to the dog in happy high-pitched voices and coaxing them along... treating is also a good idea. Have you tried putting yummy smelly treats in a plastic bag in your left hip pocket and then coaxing the puppy along with a HAPPY fun voice? For example ("Heel Dexter, good boy! Great heel dexter! Come on Dexter, Good Boy. Great Job... Heel!!")

I think the yummy smells and the happy interaction with you would be a great motivation for your dog to get moving. I just think with some dogs you have to coax them into realising some things are FUN! Unfortunately not all dogs realise that walks or swimming or fetching or chasing a soccer ball etc.. are great fun straight away... you have to show them that it's worth their while.

Once they get used to being on walks all the great smells left by other dogs and humans is usually enough fun for them to want to be on the walk.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Dave121 is offline Member

Update....

Firstly I want to thank you all for the great advise.

I have tried with the treats and it certainly makes a difference. I am also giving him lots of praise and trying to make it fun.

However, he still sits down after he has been rewarded for walking. He also refuses to walk when he wants to sniff something and I won't let him. Its almost as though he is saying "well you won't let me sniff so I am not going to walk!" (Of course I realize he does not think like a real teenager. )

Well here is the interesting part......I wondered what would happen if I continued my walk and left him behind when he stops. I needed to have a long leash to do this (longer than my retractable one) but did not want to use my 30ft training leash since I would have to keep gathering up the slack. So......I attached the retractable to the end of the regular leash and set off on the walk. Well.....sure enough after 5 minutes he stops and sits, only this time I keep walking (without looking back). Sure enough when I was a good distance from him he started to follow. YEY!! And so our walk continued. I am sure he is thinking "Don't leave me Dad!" (Perhaps you can try this, abbers12)

Anyways, needless to say I can now continue excercising with my best friend. I can see I am going to have to always be one step ahead with this fella!