looking for advice on the Leave it command

Thread: looking for advice on the Leave it command

Nobile is offline Member

Defaultlooking for advice on the Leave it command

My chocolate lab Coco is now almost 8 months old. She has been wonderful, and very easy to teach. She walks on the leash without ever pulling, goes to her crate as soon as she's told, and has learned not to jump up on people. The one thing I have had a hard time teaching her is the leave it command. Can anyone offer any training advice on this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: looking for advice on the Leave it command

set it up. and practice regularly.

What we do in obedience: introduce the irresistible item (food, toy, or both at different times). Keep the dog on leash, walk by, you between the food and the item. stay farther off the first few times. i forget what you do as you walk, hopefully other will chime in. Anyhoo, if the dog gets to the point where he goes by teh food (he may look) but goes straight by praise.

eventually you bring the dog to your other side (near the food) - or if you always heel to one side you move to the other side of the item.

baby steps.

eventually you can work off lead, but with food, you can put ziplock or saran wrap so they do not successfully get the food. Or you can put a strainer on top.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Nobile is offline Member

That sounds like a great way !! I will try it today

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

That is how we started doing it in obedience class. I think I am missing a few tidbits of info though (how to act as you walk by). We are also doing this for Rally (the dreaded plate of food station)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Lucky.N.Lucy Guest

What Tanya said, but I'd like to add that I like to use a Flexi as a transition between a regular six foot lead and off lead.

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

I have not heard the 'leave it' command before. I've always just said no. This sounds like a good idea though. More specific than no.

Tundra Aries Guest

What Tanya said too.

Nadroj is offline Junior Member

How i taught link and how we learned in puppy class, is to put a treat on the ground let the pup know it is there, but put your foot over the treat, wait until the pup looses interest or looks away from the treat on the floor and click and treat. eventually add in the leave it command.

sarah is offline Senior Member

How i taught link and how we learned in puppy class, is to put a treat on the ground let the pup know it is there, but put your foot over the treat, wait until the pup looses interest or looks away from the treat on the floor and click and treat. eventually add in the leave it command.
    what we did was similar but I started with her dinner..... we would make her sit and be patient before we put her bowl down. Then we would put her bowl down and make her wait before she was allowed to go to the bowl. Once she had perfected that I would get a piece of kibble and put it in my palm and if she went to get it I would say "Leave It" in a deep tone... she'd pause and then I'd praise and give her a piece of kibble from MY OTHER HAND.

After many months of practice, Milly will now assume the drop/down position and I can put a biscuit on each of her paws, tell her "leave it" and leave the room for up to 2 minutes and she won't touch the treats until I say ok.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia