Advice on Possible Lab Puppy Set-up?

Thread: Advice on Possible Lab Puppy Set-up?

ocblab is offline Junior Member

DefaultAdvice on Possible Lab Puppy Set-up?

Hi all!
    I am SO excited about my new lab puppy, who I'm picking up in September. I'm trying to plan now, and I could really use some advice! I've read to keep the puppy in a crate when I'm gone, but I'm also thinking of facing the open crate door toward my doggie door that leads out to my private small yard/patio, where I'll set up a "potty square" (although I really don't mind "accidents" out there). That way, the puppy can be in his crate, far away from my shoes, but can go potty whenever he needs to. What do you think? How long do you think he could go with this sort of set up?

Thank you so much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Advice on Possible Lab Puppy Set-up?

Congrats on getting a new puppy this fall! Crating is a great idea and I've learned that is really a wonderful thing for the dogs, not just for your peace of mind and clean carpets but for theirs as well. My two adult labs LOVE their crate, and actually share one now that their is a new puppy in the house. Course their crate is always open and they come and go as they please. I'm not sure about having the crate towards the door. One Labs are extremely smart and it won't take him long to figure out a way to move his crate so he can have free roaming rights in the house while you're away. Also a young pup in the yard could cause a lot of mischief and potentially hurt himself or even dig himself out. Crating also teaches him to hold his potty and for potty training, if he can come and go as he pleases he may not associate going outside is okay and not inside. I'm assuming you're getting him at 8wks of age?

Also work with the crating and not just put him in there and leave. You want the crate to be a most enjoyable place for him. Lots of us can give you suggestions for that. Not saying that's what you were planning on doing with him, just had to throw that out there.

Welcome to the forum!! Feel free to PM me with any questions or just to talk! I have a lil hellion pup on my hands at the moment and am always asking for advise when I don't know what to do with this puppy and I've raised two others!!
    -Brandie<br /><br /><br />Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador or three in your lap.