Have any labs slipped or fought out of Easy Walk harnesses?

Thread: Have any labs slipped or fought out of Easy Walk harnesses?

BigBoy is offline Junior Member

DefaultHave any labs slipped or fought out of Easy Walk harnesses?

I'm shopping. Have any of your labs slipped free from an Easy Walk harness? Do the plastic clips hold up? Our dog weighs 85 and jerks free unexpectedly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Have any labs slipped or fought out of Easy Walk harnesses?

I've had several dogs struggle out of head halters, never had that with a harness.

If you're worried, you can either doubleclip the harness and the collar together, or double leash. I'd do that anyway REGARDLESS of what equipment you put on this dog. (Look into martingale collars as well, they would make a good backup.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I responded in your other thread.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

has anyone mentioned the prong collars? I read in your other thread about him slipping and running away. I had a harness for Happy for a while because he was slipping his collar on his training lead and he never slipped it and responded fairly well to it. I have two prong collars and neither of my two have started pulling against them. I never even tug it, just a simple slight adjustment and they instantly correct, I don't think they've actually ever been 'pinched' by them. Don't know if this is an option for you or not. I know people are split on prong collars.
    -Brandie<br /><br /><br />Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador or three in your lap.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

We have an Easy Walk and I can't imagine a dog slipping out of it when it's properly fitted. The plastic clips are very sturdy.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGirl
    has anyone mentioned the prong collars? I read in your other thread about him slipping and running away. I had a harness for Happy for a while because he was slipping his collar on his training lead and he never slipped it and responded fairly well to it. I have two prong collars and neither of my two have started pulling against them. I never even tug it, just a simple slight adjustment and they instantly correct, I don't think they've actually ever been 'pinched' by them. Don't know if this is an option for you or not. I know people are split on prong collars.
    This is also a good point. I know you mentioned that he got away while on a prong, but a properly fitted prong would never allow a dog to slip out.

Here's a good site that illustrate how to properly fit a prong:
    http://leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

imported_LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGirl
    This is also a good point. I know you mentioned that he got away while on a prong, but a properly fitted prong would never allow a dog to slip out.

Here's a good site that illustrate how to properly fit a prong:
    http://leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm
    You know I use to fit my dogs very loosely with theirs and they never tried to slip them, happy felt the correction and immediately stops and sits next to me. I saw the way to properly fit them about a year ago and started putting it the correct way on Lucky and she responds even better on it now. I just keep it loose on Happy because he's older and just a much more relaxed dog and won't need more than the tightening to respond.

I'm trying to imagine one of them slipping it even if its loose! :surprise:
    -Brandie<br /><br /><br />Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador or three in your lap.