Lazy Labrador

Thread: Lazy Labrador

mombear is offline Senior Member

DefaultLazy Labrador

Okay Parker is now almost a year old (July 29) and he is not as energetic as I think he should be. He will run in the yard, and fetch (sometimes) We get out there and throw balls, frisbees, sticks, etc and he will fetch a few times and then be like, "Yep, there it goes" and not get it. He tries so hard to get Linus my aussie shep to play with him by taking toys to him and trying to get him to play tug or chase him, etc, but Linus is not interested. Around 12:30-1AM I go out in the back with him and sit on the swing while he runs around like a banshee back and forth, out and back, over and over again, having a great time. He also likes to get in the plastic pool and go around and around trying to make a whirlpool. Are some labs just like that? He's not sick, just had a check up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lazy Labrador

It could also be the heat, Peg. I notice a big decline in energy with the heat in my guys. Just be prepared come fall....
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Some Labs are far more motivated to play fetch or retrieve than others.

My beloved Bess never had enough retrieving; she could become wobbly on her legs from retrieving and still beg for more.

My beloved Puff, OTOH, is much more casual about retrieving and does it as a learned response -- as something important for me -- rather than as something preserving the courses of the planets, as was true for Bess. I worked on building up retrieving in Puff from the time she was 4 months old using the NILIF method. As a result she retrieves -- but never with the intensity, speed and devotion of Bess. Retrieving for Bess beat out food or being petted and getting either of those other needs met was almost above first place. Puff's first place is riding in the car.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Scoper50 is offline Senior Member

I too have noticed a declining interest in playing fetch since the heat wave moved in. He'll still do it, but he chooses to stop playing even if there are treats involved in the game. He's usually good for about 5 or 10 minutes when it's hot out. If it's cooler outside I could throw the ball until he has a heart attack. He won't stop.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Wes couldn't care less about retrieving. It has, in fact, halted our pursuit of a CDX title. He'll carry a dumbbell 'til the cows come home, but won't pick the durned thing up off the ground for all the gold in Fort Knox. Same with a tennis ball, bumper, baseball, or anything else throwable.

Wes' response to my tossing something: "Yup. Lookit that. Wow. There it goes. Hmmm. You're gonna have a bit of a walk to go get that thing, Dad. Better get started. Meanwhile, is it naptime yet?"

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I'd take a look at the parents and grandparents. Any mellow couch potatoes in the pedigree? Otherwise, it could be something like a food intolerance that he's just not feeling very perky.

Some dogs aren't terribly impressed w/ chasing "dead" objects but give them live birds, and they become great little retrievers.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

ceasersmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dweck

Wes' response to my tossing something: "Yup. Lookit that. Wow. There it goes. Hmmm. You're gonna have a bit of a walk to go get that thing, Dad. Better get started. Meanwhile, is it naptime yet?"

That sounds just like Ceaser's response! Glad to know Ceaser may just be somewhat normal after all!

Gus adopted 11/2008
    Ceaser adopted 4/2008
    Heidi adopted 4/2006

GTownPride is offline Senior Member

Bunny is definitely very laid back. She's pretty happy to lounge around all day with me in the house. She'll definitely play if I initiate it, she'll run to get the ball or whatever but she hasn't quite gotten the idea that she's supposed to bring it back, and she absolutely loves to play with other dogs, but she's generally pretty chill.

Tundra Aries Guest

I think Aries and Wes are realated!