HELP, Boy may get into trouble. 2 years old and bolts unexpectedly
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP, Boy may get into trouble. 2 years old and bolts unexpectedly

BigBoy is offline Junior Member

DefaultHELP, Boy may get into trouble. 2 years old and bolts unexpectedly

After I take Big Boy for a walk, we are both exhausted. He still PULLS REALLY HARD on the leash and then, when I least expect it, he yanks the leash out of my hand and bolts after a car, another male dog, a rabbit, or a cat. Today he yanked free while wearing his Sprenger pinch collar. I will think he is doing really good, and THEN, BAM, he lunges. What is the best way to catch a loose dog that races until exhausted (HOURS)? He has never come home on his own after getting free.
    He has a large outdoor kennel/run and sleeps in the house in a wire kennel.
    It doesn't seem to matter how many times we talk sweetly to him, or how well behaved he is, some stimuli still makes him take off. He will "sit," and sometimes "come!" But he does not respond to any other commands, no matter how we work with him. I have tried hot dogs, doggy treats, lots of praise, etc. to entice him to come to us. He will come SOMETIMES when we have a treat, but if he breaks free, there is no bringing him back. It has only happened three or four times, but it scares me to death.
    It doesn't seem to matter if we use a check lead or regular lead. There are no dog parks, we cannot fence our yard, and live in a small rural town near a major highway.
    How do I respond to him when we do catch him? :tired:I don't want to scold him, in fear that he won't come back. But I don't want to praise him or make him think what he did was a good thing. :no:

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: HELP, Boy may get into trouble. 2 years old and bolts unexpectedly

is he neutered?

Neutered ust this week - and still broke free again today.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

it takes up to 6 weeks for the hormones to be gone from the system, and a lot longer to get rid of ingrained habits like bolting.

I'd recommend getting into a good obedience class, and switching equipment - use a front clip harness like a sensation or a easy walk harness. With a dog like this, I'd also consider double leashing - one on his flat collar and one on whatever other collar or harness you use.

I'd also be doing alot of practicing throughout the day - a few minutes here and there add up to a lot of reinforcement history. As you get his breakfast/dinner ready, practice a few sits and downs. Play round-robin come with your SU or your children every chance you get - take turns calling the dog, making sure that the dog sits in front of you and you take hold of the collar EVERY repetition (and reward, reward, reward every time). As you watch TV in the evening, use the commercial breaks as training time.

When he's outside, he's dragging a long line. EVERY time he's outside, even in the fenced yard.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

What Kaytris said.

It's the same as the answer given to the man in NYC carrying a violin case who asked a person on the street, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"

The person he asked by chance was also a musician so he answered, "PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!"
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Yes-yes-yes on an obed class.

And until that kicks in, seach the Our Best Advice sticky for counsel on heeling and recall.

Okay, so I am going to order a Gentle Leader. (No nearby pet stores.) They are sorted by weight, but have a disclaimer about "small heads may need..." What about Labs? Do the sizes listed fit pretty well? Big Boy is 85 pounds, with a burly male head. Should the 60-130 pound, LARGE, head harness fit okay? Which is more reliable - plastic snaps or metal?

Get an easy walk or sensation/sens-ible harness instead. You'll need to measure his chest and around his belly/back, there is a measuring guide on their websites. There are 'inbetween sizes as well, so ask if you think the standard sizes won't do..

imported_LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

I can't speak for anyone else's labs but plastic snaps have NEVER held up against my two full grown labs. THey take off running and that snap just goes PLOP. I'm sure one would work okay for them now as they are both very good on leashes now, but during that time they were learning...plastic was like nothing at all.
    -Brandie<br /><br /><br />Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador or three in your lap.

DefaultPremier Easy Walk or Gentle Leader Easy Walk?

From this picture, it looks like a dog could just slip free. Has anyone had a lab slip or fight loose from the Easy Walk harness?
    http://www.thepamperedpetmart.com/Me...e&qtk=6W6wrj6g

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast